Questions on maiden mare....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
:aktion033: I knew my mare was bred and now she is starting to bag up. This is my first maiden mare, I'm so excited and nervous at the same time :eek: :lol: She was pasture bred and her first breeding date was May 27, which using a guesstimation of 340 days for gestation, puts her at about day 301 if she took that day. That also puts her first due date at about May 2. I know every mare is different but I hear so much about maiden mares not bagging up I'm wondering if she will go soon than that. Any ideas??

Hi Tobey,

Wish I could answer all your questions.....The best thing I can recommend is that you check how soft her butt muscles are, how relaxed her vagina is, and if you can get ANY liquid from her teats - how sticky it is.

Oh, and watch how she's holding the baby. Instead of seeing a "baby bulge" sticking out side to side, the foal will be dropped down lower - UNDER her belly. This means the foal is moving itself into a foaling position.

MA

Thanks! I've had foals but never a maiden mare. I'll be getting my camera up this weekend.

Latest posts

Back