Questions on foal poop??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok sorry but no other way to say it, Ok Im a bit worried My new filly was pooping fine yesterday well I let her and mom out into the paddock for about 1/2 hour baby played then ate then napped when she awoke she pooped but I was horrified to see YELLOW Liquid and it was 1/2 foamy and had 2 little deer size nuggets in it,

I KNow this can't be normal, I gave her * The MOM * a 1/2 dos eof Banamine after she passed everything, then I gave her the wormer also did I mess up??? could this have caused this? I KNOW the vet will say it is,

I want to be prepared for his well ya shouldnt have or who told y ato do that speech, the guy is a creep to start with ,,I called them yesterday to come give baby shots and check the mare and her and wa sinformed they DONT do that till 48 hours, I insisted a sI was worried about baby gettin her food AND because her eyes are kinda yucky and watery so they said they would be out SOMETIME today, so here it is after 2 still waiting,

Baby is happy enough and active but im stresses.

ALSO ANYONE who lives her ein Washington I am 30 minutes from Olympia I NEED a MINI vet, none of these ones around me know amini from a llama,

Keep checking the foal's poop. It could be "milk poop" you are looking at. But you don't want it to be TOO yellow or TOO liquidy as it could mean infection. (No, the banamine or the wormer wouldn't cause it.) The foal's behavior and attitude is also a good thing to be vigilant on.

Make sure your foal's eyelashes are all pointing up and out. Sometimes they get curled under the eyelids during birthing and can cause a problem. Usually it's an easy fix by just pulling the foal's eyelid out a little and then wiping its eyes with babywipes or a moist cloth.

Not sure WHAT the vet is talking about in regard to the 48 hours. We give our foals a selenium shot AT BIRTH, and some people also give them a Tetanus shot. And our vets like to run an IgG test for antibodies (if needed) when the foal is 24 hours old, plus that's the standard time vets like to do a regular newborn foal and mare health check!

There are several mini owners up in your general area, I think. Hopefully one of them will log on here and give you some vet references. Are you a member of the Northwest Miniature Horse Club?

WOO HOO the vet didnt come he hired a new vet and she came She was very nice, she said I should worm so I said I did,she LOVES minis and knows about hem thank gosh,

yea my OTHER vet ALWAYS came asap and gave baby shots so I dont understand the wait thing,

I had them draw blood for IgG and they gave her reading off the invoice, Tet Tox ~~ TAT ~~~~ and what looks like E somethin SE

they werent concerned about the yellow pooh cause baby is so Active,

They said Baby had a horrible disease and needed to go to the clinic awhile BUT that was just cause they liked her and wanted to play with her, lol

YOU guys have NO IDEA how much I appreciate all your help and stuff, I just CANT TELL YOU ENOUGH

default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Yep, sounds like the vet did everything. If your foal's antibodies were low with the IgG test, they would have told you.

The Tet Tox and the "E and SE" you referred to are the two shots I mentioned......One is the Tetanus. The other is the Selenium (which comes with the vitamin E as a "binder").

Sounds like all is good!

Latest posts

Back