question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
This will be my first donkey foal and the jennet is at the 12 month time. Do these guys foal out like a mini horse? I put my monitors on my minis and have cameras. This jennet seems to be a bit upset with the monitor, so I'm not sure what to do. She...of course is HUGE...she is only 30" so the pregnancy can really only go out. I had my vet check her the other day...really in hopes that it would bring her into labor....the vet said there is alot of fluid which is good and the baby is forward but not in position.....but if they are anything like horses....I know that baby can position very quickly. Just curious, anxious and sleepless over this jennet.

Becky

Gosh I wish I can be more help...but I know nothing about mini horses. However I have had 6 foaling(mini donk) experiences in the past 6 years and only witnessed one
default_sad.png
Almost all pregnancys were over 12 months...just when you think that they can't get any bigger they do!. The best advise I can give you about how close they are to foaling is everyday...sometimes a few times a day. I check their crotch/vulva area. It starts getting really slack...almost droopy looking. And sometimes they bag up... sometimes not?? The crotch check has been most helpful for me.....*I would love to hear from others what their main indicator is for the big event. Another thing, they are sooooo sneaky. You can check on them one minute...come inside the house...do some laundry etc.... go back out and OH MY...there they are laying side by side...a cute little wet one and an exhausted Mama. It happenens so fast. My last birth was like this.... I went out and checked on my jenny about 4am...she seemed just fine. I went out again at 7am and baby was up and walking/nursing and even playing. She had to have had him shortly after I was out there at 4am?? Another thing is my Jack always announces the birth. He was bellowing that morning but I ignored him thinking I was just out there and everything was fine
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Since Sept we have had 2 babies...

Momma Grace read ALL the books and had a perfect delivery we kept close eye on her bag and vagina
default_rolleyes.gif
: -On Sept 15 her bag size doubled and her rear was starting to get mushy- she had white sticky fluid... (she was being watched on camera ...my friend called at 12am I was to her place by 12:10 saw the water break and we were lucky enough to witness the entire thing - she had him by 12:35 and he was up and nursing by 1am
default_yes.gif
:

The we got Minnie in March very fat and we thought she was due @May/June. She was checked daily like Grace was her bag would get Big (we'd get excited )then the next day it was gone :new_shocked: She did this for weeks...she ended up with Hyperlipidemia which we took care of with fluids...her bag kind of returned on Thursday 5/18 - Friday she was fine...Sat am no sign of impending birth so out in the pasture she went at 10am by noon she had a cute little Jack but refused to let him nurse she quit being a mom about the time he hit the ground...now 4 weeks later - he is bucket fed and is adorable!

If you do not have the miniature donkey book and foaling manuel they are a HUGE help!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back