Question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardBreath

Reaction score
Boe Tye's been having small contractions for about 24 hours now. For the last ...8 hours or so they've been pretty close together.

My question is, how long do mares normally start doing this before their water breaks?

All of the muscles in her rear and tail are completely relaxed. Her privates are very loose, slightly opened and off and on draining mucusey fluids. No bag whatsoever.

Should she go pretty soon? Or could she do this for a little while longer?

default_wacko.png
:

Are you sure that's what is actually going on? I've foaled out a lot of miniature mares over the years and I don't see actual contractions until they are in stage two labor which generally lasts less than 30 minutes.

What is she doing that makes you think she is having contractions?

I understand that a mare might actually be going thru some stage of early labor as much as 24 hours ahead. I must say tho, in more than 70 foalings, I've only observed that once or twice -- the slight contractions, that is. Usually no signs at all that early (that are visible). Hopefully, she'll foal soon. You might want to call your vet to get his/her opinion.

She should show you plenty of other signs before her water breaks. That's one of the last things that happens before the foal presents itself. Let us know what's happening, please.

if shes really contracting that long i would get a vet out asap.

They are very slight "contractions".......You have to really look to see it. The stomach mucsles tighten for about 3 seconds and then release. It actually kind of looks like she is constipated and straining just a little, but I know it's not that.

I was told it is probably slight transitory contractions, just slowly getting the baby up into position. Although it isn't something that usually gives visual signs, occasionally you do see it.

I'm really not worried yet, as she is still progessing with other signs, slowly but surely. She's biting at her sides quite a bit more, eating off and on, drinking frequently, laying down for lots of naps.

lol, and she wants someone with her at all times, but not within 5 feet, and definately not touching her.

Latest posts

Back