Question unrelated to horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Next year in the summer to fall timeframe the wife and I want to take a driving trip from Houston to New England. We have a few things listed that we want to see on the way and when we are there but for those of you that live in that path, what are some "must see" things.

We have a few places on the "bucket list" but we are completely open.

Do you have a route in mind? That would help a lot with what not to miss. If you took a more southern route to get there and the more northern route to get back then you could see things like Natchez MS and the Natchez Trace Parkway, then over toward Birmingham and up to TN and the Great Smokey Mountains. Maybe take the bucket list and put it on the map, that would help determine the route.

I would suggest visiting Washington,DC and Philadelphia,PA on the way to New England.Our USA is an amazing place and those 2 cities played an important role in our history.Several years ago significant other and I took a trip from Delaware to the Northwest.No planned itinerary.We flew to Spokane,WA and headed east in our rental car.Only thing on our list was the Appaloosa Hall of Fame.We picked up brochures in the motels and asked locals what to see and where to eat.We saw the Glacier National Park,the Canadian Rocky Mounted Museum, a gold mine, a Whorehouse Museum,a Canadian High School rodeo and lots more.Amazing trip and no timeline .We were still on East Coast time in our bodies.We ate when we were hungry and went to bed when tired.Amazing trip and so relaxing and so much fun.We had a great trip and didn't come home exhausted.Have fun You will find lots to do.

If you aim for the fall for travel, the weather will probably be better and there will be less crowds.

Virginia is a good state to travel through for the civil war towns and sites. And in the fall you'll see some foliage in New England. There's something special about visiting the sleepy colonial towns in New Hampshire and Vermont with the leaves turning. Pure maple syrup and little antique stores .....loved it.

A civil war trek would be pretty cool. There's Gettysburg, there is Shanksville, Pa where the plane went down on 9/11 ( nice tribute), in Philly there is Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, The Betsy Ross house, NYC there is the Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, FOA Schwartz with the big piano keyboard you step on (for those that remember the movie Big) then there is the theatre district in NYC, lots of on and off broadway shows, ooh Carlos Bakery in Hoboken Nj, a stones throw from NYC ( cake boss), there is a cake boss bakery in NYC but you are more likely to meet one of the siblings in NJ than the satelite bakery in NYC, there is Salem MA, cool graveyards and tours telling of the Salem witch trials, Lots of Lobster in Maine, get them right off the peers for about $3-4 each (soft shelled, won't make the trip home though), I'll let you know what else I think of.....

Well, if you're going to be anywhere near Kentucky, you gotta see the KY horse park. Oct is when they have the National Drive. Aaand on your way out of KY, stop by and see ME! I'm only 2 miles from the Interstate 64 going out. There are also many tours of the TB breeding farms available around Lexington.

All great ideas. Been to DC several times and always enjoy it there but we are looking for something different.Spent several weeks in NYC and been to all of those sites. Was in NYC and DC in July 2001. Never dawned on me that would be the last time I would see the towers. Seen all I want to see there. I have Gettysgurg on my list. Grand daughter lives in Pittsburg. Philadelphia and Boston are on the list although I have been to both. Acadia National Park is the end goal.

Very interested in the Civil War and American Revolution sites. Historical sites and tours are of special interest.

If you are going through Illinois, and you like the civil war and history, you might do Springfield Illinois. There is a lot on Lincoln there. There is the Museum, Lincoln's home (street, etc.) and more.

Williamsburg,VA and Jamestown,VA are 2 very interesting sites.There are some awesome plantations along the James River between Virginia Beach and Richmond.Some that come to mind are Shirley and Beverly.Richmond VA is also an interesting place to visit as is Jefferson's home Monticello.Lots of neat history stuff in the east.I'm also a history buff and would love to see more things.I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.Let us know when you go and what you see.

If you will be near Bangor, Maine, if you're a fan of Stephen King like me, I couldn't resist getting my picture taken in front of his house with it's gothic wrought iron fence, etc.!

Since you're planning Boston....don't forget Cape Cod!

Thanks Candycar. Been to KHP many times. Won't get to go to the National Drive this year due to commitments but many of our club members are going. Wifes cousin is an Equine Geneticist at UK and has taken us around to several of the farms. Are you close tpo Gayla?

And thanks everyone else for all the great suggestions.

You definitely have to see Gettysburg, then. And when you get to Pittsburgh, take a ride on the inclines and check out the Fort Pitt Museum.

If you have a choice, go in the fall. Just leaf peeping will make the whole trip. Thta's the thing I miss most about living in PA- autumn is SPECTACULAR!

That is a great idea! I'm sorry I didn't think to mention it as we are acutally planning to do both Williamsburg and Jamestown with one of our "he's like a brother" friends this fall!

Williamsburg,VA and Jamestown,VA are 2 very interesting sites.There are some awesome plantations along the James River between Virginia Beach and Richmond.Some that come to mind are Shirley and Beverly.Richmond VA is also an interesting place to visit as is Jefferson's home Monticello.Lots of neat history stuff in the east.I'm also a history buff and would love to see more things.I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.Let us know when you go and what you see.

If you haven't seen it yet, make a swing north and see the Grand Canyon. It is a must for everyone, there isn't a picture I have seen yet that does it justice. Then there are the ancient Indian homes built into canyon walls, those are amazing.

Everyone has some great ideas, get the book called Places to see before you die. I also have one on the most scenic road trips in the US. Falling water in PA which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Salem, MA to see where the witch trials were held.

Have a great trip and please share pictures of it with us.

Latest posts

Back