Question to breeders about gestation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who have mares go over 365 days gestation, do you have any trouble with either registry with registering the foal?

Seems I've heard something about having to DNA (parent qualify) in such cases. And I don't think AMHR accepts DNA, do they? So what then?

This has been a crazy year for me, I've had 4 so far with fairly normal for mine gestation periods of 10 months to just under 11 months. Now I have my last 4 who are over 11 months and one even approaching a year. I don't totally trust the udder developement (as some have also said) so I'm about to go crazy with marestare.

Rita

I sure hope this isn't what is happening with your mare, but I had one that showed all the signs - butt rubbing, bagged up, tested her milk and it went half way across the test strip color chart, and then she went over her "due date". She had also been ultrasounded in foal early on. But once she went by her due date I had an EXTERNAL ultrasound done which showed there was no foal. And immediately after that US (like I think the vet was still in the driveway!!!) she came back into heat. The timing would have been her foal heat if she had been in foal.

One of our mares went over 365 days last year and we didn't have any trouble getting her registered. Nothing at all was said???

Again, thank you for all of the input. I was able to feel lots and lots of kicking and rolling of the foal today. Last night I discovered the swollen bump in front of the udder that I have read described as "milk veins" on this forum. There is milk but not a huge bag. I'm at least positive this time that it's not wishful thinking with baby movement. Thank goodness. 352 days and counting
default_wacko.png
She's feeling ok, I turned her out last night to get out of her stall and she had a good time playing and bucking and rolling.

Alas, my fears are subsiding. You guys are awesome for helping me along.

Latest posts

Back