Question on teeth and driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanch

Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads where the horse is chopping on the bit, and people recommend getting the teeth done. What confuses me is that IF the horse has no wolf teeth where the bit sits, how could the teeth be effecting the horse???

Last edited by a moderator:
Your horse may have some sharp hooks or points in its mouth that will effect the way he carries the bit. The bit can also hurt his mouth more if there are sharp points and hooks. All horses teeth should be floated or at least checked every year.

Fanch said:
I've read quite a few threads where the horse is chopping on the bit, and people recommend getting the teeth done. What confuses me is that IF the horse has no wolf teeth where the bit sits, how could the teeth be effecting the horse???
A tight cavesson can push the cheeks into the molars, causing pain if there are sharp edges or hooks there. The horse's tongue could be getting cut on similar sharp edges on the inside of the mouth. The bit itself could be clanking into the front edges of the molars, causing discomfort that could be eliminated by making a "bit seat" there. If the teeth do not meet evenly, the jaw cannot slide smoothly from side to side which both effects the chewing of food and also the soft carrying and mouthing of the bit. There's all sorts of dental issues that can affect the horse's comfort!

Take your own teeth as an example. Think about how a simple thing like a sensitive tooth can affect everything you do. Every time you suck in air, the cold makes the tooth sting. You chew, the tooth aches. You accidentally poke it with your tongue, it twinges. It's constantly on your mind and annoying you so you can't focus. A cut or sore in your mouth feels the same way. And then imagine someone puts braces on top of that or you try to suck on a pen or something- ouch! I think you'd spend all your time fussing with your mouth too, trying to get comfortable. That's what the horse is doing when he's chomping.

It's our job to make sure the horse's mouth is as comfortable as possible, and that means checking it for things that could cause pain before we assume he's just being naughty or objecting to the particular bit.
default_smile.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have nothing to add. You guys took the words right out of my mouth, and amen to both posts! I have seen horses flip over backwards because their mouths hurt so bad. (Not mine, mine get annual dental care!!)

It is absolutely astounding the number and types of problems that can result from a sore mouth or dental problem including head shaking, hanging on the bit, backing haphazardly, rearing, kicking, refusing to move, throwing themselves to the ground, shortened gaits, crooked gaits, sore shoulders, sore backs, sore hocks, it goes on and on and on.......get your horse's teeth checked and tended to BEFORE bridling in the first place and at least annually ever after. Sometimes you might not even realize the problem stems from the teeth but I always advise with ANY difficulty get the teeth checked first and quite often that IS the problem.

Latest posts

Back