Question on pre-foaling vaccinations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my 30 day pre-foaling vaccines. I normally give Eastern, Western, Tetanus and Influenza. I vaccinate for WNV after they foal and before I rebreed. I don't do Pneumabort at 5, 7, and 9 months anymore as I've had some mares abort and there has been some findings that this can actually cause abortions. My question is what should I do for Rhino so my foal is protected at birth. What kind of Rhino should I give? Should I do Pneumabort just at the 30 day pre-foaling vaccination?

Thanks!

kareng

We give our regular six way PLUS West Nile about two to four weeks out from foaling.

wondering for those that give WN before foaling to the mare at what age do you do the foals WN and booster?

Eastern, Western, Flu, Tetanus, Rhino, Venezuelan, I think. have to go look, time to order new, it is Innovator 6 from Fort Dodge.

I give a 5-way from Intervet Tetanus/EEE/WEE/Flu/Rhino to the pregnant mares around 300 days gestation (before they foal). I do not give the pneumabort, so my vet recommended give the Rhino before they foal.

I give the 5-way from Intervet also about a month before they foal. I don't do the pneumobort K anymore after having a mare abort the day after(she's prego again this year and looking good! :bgrin ). I think it was in Equus that I read the WNV immunization does not pass to the foal from mom.....so I don't give that one until after she foals and before she's bred again.

Our Vet Program:::

Mares, Stallion, & Gelding get their shots every fall, around October

They all get:

prevention of Tetanus,

Equine Encephalomyelities due to Eastern And Western viruses,

Eqine influenza due to types A1 and A2viruses

Rabies

After foaling within 24 - 48 hours

Mare:

Tetanus Antitoxin

shot of Banimine if needed

Foals:

Penicillin first day and same dose next day.

E-se

Tetanus antitoxin

Approximately 4 months of age Tetanus toxoid and rabies.

This has been our program from our Vet for the last 4 years.

To answer Lisa's question about vaccinating foals for WNV, the protocol we were given in 2003 (first year we vaccinated for WNV) was that if the mares were vaccinated early enough to have built up immunity prior to foaling, the foals weren't to be done until they were 6 months old. If the mare didn't have immunity prior to foaling, then the foals were to get their 1st WNV shot at 4 months and the 2nd one 4-6 weeks later, though as always they can have them as soon as 2 weeks after the first shot.

In this case we were discussing mares that had never been vaccinated for WNV before, but we follow pretty much the same protocol now. Since our mosquito season is short, and we are having our foals a bit later each year (May this year as compared to April last year & March/April previously, with even one Feb. baby 2 years ago) it tends to work out that by the time our foals are 4 months old our mosquito season is winding down. By the time they are 6 months old it is nearly winter! So, they end up not having the vaccine until May of their yearling year.

Reble, I have to ask--what is the point of vaccinating for EEE and WEE in October? The vaccine gives a relatively short peak immunity to EEE and WEE, so by the time mosquito season rolls around, horses vaccinated in October would be seriously under-protected. According to our vets & everything I have read, those are considered spring vaccines in Canada. Southern States of course vaccinate twice a year since they have mosquitos year around & EEE especially is a threat in horses not boosted 2x a year.

I am getting ready to do my 30 day pre-foaling vaccines. I normally give Eastern, Western, Tetanus and Influenza. I vaccinate for WNV after they foal and before I rebreed. I don't do Pneumabort at 5, 7, and 9 months anymore as I've had some mares abort and there has been some findings that this can actually cause abortions. My question is what should I do for Rhino so my foal is protected at birth. What kind of Rhino should I give? Should I do Pneumabort just at the 30 day pre-foaling vaccination?

Thanks!

kareng

Karen,

We do very much the same as you, except the combo vaccine we give is PrestigeV which includes a killed Rhino with it, plus the others you listed. We only vaccinate for West Nile when a horse is leaving our area and/or a new owner requests it.

MA

Hi All

I realize its an age old to do or not with the Pneumabort Rhino but I was wondering what your input is with Mini mares and doing this at 5, 7 and 9 or some just go 30 days prior to foaling. Some skip it all together... I'd love your feed back as a VERY VERY new to mini person and breeding.

I also realize there is a difference between EHV-4 (upper respiratory infection) and EHV-1 (causes abortion in mares)

Thanks

Christina

Latest posts

Back