Question for those

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
Junior and us went to the Nursing Home here on th 19th of November. Well while in the hall I seen his tail going up - so I quickly pushed it down and exited to the outside. Well we stood around outside like - don't know what we're doing out here - so took him back in. When we got back in he proceeded to puddle on the floor - not all at once - several small puddles - but when I would take him out each time he would start to puddle he would just look around and want to eat the lawn. So back in and then finally he let it all go, naturally inside - we had used a whole roll of paper towels already on all his smaller puddles. Don't know if it was the temp change from outside to in that got him going or what. But my question is - how do you guys that take mini's on visits prevent this or do you? Is there a way to get him to go outside, especially like in this instance I knew he needed to go but wouldn't when we went out?

The nurse on duty had no problem with mopping up after him - said she does it after the residents and this was no big deal. Anyway just wanted to know if you guys have any ideas on how to get him to go outside or if you worry about it. The first visit in October went so well with no accidents. We are still welcome back but thought if there was a way we could avoid this happening it would be great and if not no big deal, I guess - just hope it doesn't happen everytime we go.

How old is Junior. I take my gelding American Gigolo to schools and nursing homes wothout any accidents. Perhaps as he gets older your boy will stop having accidents. I think the ride in the trailer makes them go, and he is good for about two hours.

I have had a "few" accidents since I do weekly visits. I usually can catch it. I know that I have to kind of wait it out when we go outside. I watch to see if he lets the goods down, that is always an indication of a need to go. It has been quite some time since we have had an accident, but when he was really little he had some trouble and we always stopped to go outside at mid visit. I don't know what the answer is, I am just aware that when my guy gets antsy, it is probably time for a break and then the physical things, like the tail or lowering of other essential items ;).

So far we are among the lucky ones. No accidents. I even took my two month old in last year and he loved it so much and no accidents. I was impressed with that one.

Some will only go at a spot they smell has already been used....
yes.gif
So, try walking him back into his trailer as it's the closest thing you have to his stall.

They are better able to extend the time after a few visits.

Thanks for the recommendations. Junior is 6 mos old this was his second visit - the first went by without any accidents!! Everyone was so proud. Then this time - was like - YIKES!! The first visit he had went in the trailer on the way to town. This second visit it was windy with a nasty bite in the air (chilly) and about 90 in the nursing home. Anyway he was full of himself - so Rory walked him up and down our driveway before loading him to go. He did manage to take a load off his mind in the driveway, so didn't go in the trailer on the way. So I thought this is ok. Boy was I wrong. He was so full of himself that the first thing he did when we walked in the door was bit a recliner chair
ohmy.gif
So I am going to fit him with a muzzle as I don't want to risk him biting a resident - although he has never offered to do this. Just the chair!

The taking him back to the trailer sounds like an excellent idea. And he does love jumping into the trailer and jumping out of it. But I didn't think of taking him back to it to relieve himself. I will have to do this if he does this again - as I don't think they make a diaper big enough to fit him - lol.

Thanks - I knew you guys would have some suggestions
yes.gif

Was the nursing home floor carpeted?? If so that is your answer.

Offered the choice of peeing or eating, which would you do??
smile.gif

You need to hold a bowl with a piece of paper towel in it (so it doesn't splash) under him AND WHISTLE!!! No, I'm not kidding and I have NO idea why it works, you will just have to trust me. Once he is peeing to the whistle you will be able to get him to pee wherever and whenever you want. A friend of mine, who was a bit of a clean freak- Marty will love this!!
rolleyes.gif
- never had to muck out her stable- this was a Welsh Cob, not a Mini- he pooped all in one corner and he peed into a measuring jug when she whistled. She did this twice a day when he was on day turnout and four times when he had to be in and we never had an accident.

I would not muzzle a foal this young- he bit the chair to find out what it tasted like, that's what babies do. Rather I would just tell him"Not that" or even "leave it" as you would a puppy, and go on from there.

You are going to have a blast with this, it is one of the most worthwhile things you can do with our babies!!

Thanks Fizz - another good idea. The problem I see is like when I try to whistle my horses in from pasture - I can whistle when I don't need to but when I'm put on the spot I'm a dud at whistling
rolleyes.gif
No matter how hard I try - seems I get worse instead of better
biggrin.gif
This would be great if it works - maybe humming would work?

No he wasn't on carpet - but he kept pawing at the tile like it was grass as it was speckled and trying to eat at it too. You have an excellent point on the muzzle - when he bit the chair I did tell him NO. We are having fun with this - Junior will be going as Santa Hooves on the 17th of Dec - have his santa hat, leggings and beard all ready, and giving all the residents a card from him. Would do candy canes also but some can't have them - so are just doing cards.

My boy has been to a few. Hasnt ever had a accident, however the second he got in the trailer he let it all go. He had been holding it the whole time.

Back