question for those of you who switched from horses to minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
I have a recently replaced knee and also some lower back issues but I'd like to drive and possibly do some in hand showing with minis......do you find that your joints and back are better or worse off having miniature v. full sized horses? I'm just wondering about all the bending over, crouching down, etc. and how that might affect things physically for me. Can you share with me your physical issue and how you've modified things to make life a little easier for your body? Thanks!

I switched to mini's because I have physical problems that prevent me from being around large horses. I have MS with poor balance and muscle strength. I also had surgery in Dec on my cervical spine and have a disc problem in my lower back. My horses help me up if I have crouched by them. You can teach them to set their feet without crouching too. My favorite thing to do is drive and I just started doing that again a couple weeks ago after I got out of the neck brace. I also go in the special needs classes which is nice because my walking is so compromised that it is hard to compete in regular classes for halter. I love my mini's!!

As one with both back and leg issues, I try to be careful and build muscle while avoiding strain. It's way too easy for me to favor a weak area and end up creating other problems. One simple exercise that has really helped is to stand or walk with my hands clasped behind my back. It seems so basic, but it really helps stretch and build your core muscles, and those really lose strength when you're injured.

I have to be especially careful when lifting, since my knee and back issues make it difficult to lift with my legs. Some days even lifting a full hay tub causes my back to spasm. I try to stretch my back before any lifting, which really seems to help.

I injured my back when I was in my 20s, and this haunts me today. I have to avoid cantilevered stress -- I hold everything, even light objects, close to my body and/or create a bridge.

We recently covered our chicken run with netting, which means that to get to the other end, I have to bend over and duck my head, but at least the heaviest things I carry in there are small pitchers of water and feed, and this is actually turning out to be good exercise.

There are days that my back hurts so bad that I give in and let Keith feed everyone, but I figure it's "use it or lose it," and I have no intentions of losing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched from Morgans to Minis about 14 years ago because the older I get, the harder the ground gets.
default_yes.gif
. I am 60 now, broke my back last September and can still handle the Mini's, something I would not have been able to do with the Morgans.

one word of caution though, they are addicting.
default_yes.gif

Well for the physical changes in handling and working around minis versus big horses. The one and most important thing that does require lots of time bent over, or on your knees, or squatting is grooming and clipping. What I do once I know my mini will stand quietly is sit on a bucket that is the right height. There is even nice garden seats with wheels (haven't got one yet) that allow you to move back-n-forth while still seated. This does help a lot with the back, knees and joints.

Other than that is all up to training so they don't pull while being led. Even if they do, it is not like a big horse.

Also getting in and out of the cart needs some time to get use to but when your horse is trained to stand quietly it will be come easy. Otherwise just have someone hold it while you get in and out.

I think you won't have a problem doing any of the things you want to do with the minis. Just have fun and you will find out you can't have just one!

I find grooming a full sized horse so much easier on my back than tiny size A minis. They are so close to the ground and there's lots of bending and stooping. I've gotten to the point where I just sit down to work on them and that solution has been working for me. But I should add that as I've slowed down, I feel so much safer working around my minis (even the larger ones). Minis are just a blast really and whether you're training them or just sitting in the pasture with them, they really can bring a lot of pleasure to your life.

Most know what I went through. I still walk with a cane and can't handle anything heavy. Have to rely on family to move bales of hay, clean the pasture and so on.

I have Icelandic's and one mini mare now. Icelandic's, at least mine, are very easy to deal with. They are super, super smooth with Tolt, so I am still riding. But I have Maggie for driving too.

All my horse's are trained not to pull on me while leading. I can move them around by just pointing at them and I when I walk into the pasture I am boss.... no one acts up. Is a lot safer this way for me.

Have had Maggie so long... I just squat down, or sit in a chair to do Maggie's hooves. She has taken such good care of me after the accident, I do trust her. But with a new horse, this is not something I would do. At least not at first.

If you want to drive, having someone help you find a well trained mini and getting a cart that has very good suspension and easy to get in and out of, is very important.

I got into minis after a bad wreck on my riding horse. I never looked back. I get so much from my minis and it filled the hole left when I decided that I won't be riding again. I drive my A sized mini boy, I have a cart with excellent suspension and support (aerocrown). My other boy is special too (in my avitar) and I share him with my friend who introduced me to the wonderful world of miniature horses. My old plastic two step mounting block is excellent to sit on when you have to do something low on my boys... My vet even uses it now when she does work on them or wants to do an exam and needs to be eye level. I don't trim my boys feet and since they are both so well behaved my farrier doesn't complain about doing the short boys. I have found that with my physical limitations, it is nice having two boys that came with quite a bit of training. I admit that training a young mini can be a challenge if you are physically limited and my bad shoulder couldn't take the strain of leading a silly yearling, but I kept at it... but with a trainer to help me with the hard stuff. I admit to wanting to raise one myself and realizing that it took more hours than I had in a day to work with one that had little training.. I also admit to getting the potato chip syndrome... you just can't have one... and then later figuring out that I was better set up to handle two for time and space than three. I think that you have to search within yourself to see what works for your individual situation. I got lucky and have a mentor breeder that has been very supportive and helpful. She shared her special boy when she decided to retire him and he was my match from day one. My boys are easy to handle, friendly and quite the "in your pocket" kind of guys. My first mini purchased as a weanling is happily living in his new home with someone that had more time and energy and space and was a better match for his personality. My message is that you can re-evaluate, and find a terrific match and that is as great as finding a best friend. Kind of like finding the right riding horse. You really do need to find one that matches you. When you find that match, wow what a rewarding experience. cheers.

I went from QH to minis when I had knee surgery. I have to admit that it doesn't get any "easier" as the years go on (I'm in my 60s) but I found that I have no ambition to get up and move around if I don't have horses. NOT moving is the worst thing you can do for yourself. I'm probably more active now than when I had the QH. Just no high leg lifting and no heavy saddles.

I use a mechanic's chair with wheels on it to scoot around the horses for clipping. I even got them to where they will let me put their legs over my leg to clip so I don't have to bend down there. It takes a lot of patience to teach them what you need them to do but most minis seem to "live to please".

I drive and I find a lot of the same pleasure that I did from riding. You can work to get these little guys extremely responsive.

Thanks everyone for your responses, makes me feel so not alone in dealing with physical issues that sometimes limit me. I have a lovely older fjord gelding who is a saint and puts up with my fumbling and stumbling and doesn't get upset over much. Riding just doesn't seem to be holding the same appeal for me anymore and I've always wanted to drive at some point just didn't think it would be this soon, I'm 43. I've found a few nice driving geldings in the 34-36 inch range and I'm 5'6" and I love to groom so hopefully I can make some modifications to help make it as easy and painfree as possible. I have a mounting block and that's a great idea to use it for me to sit on while grooming and clipping. I've also been researching different carts that are easy to get in and out of and the recommendations to find one that drives comfortably is a good point too.

I got my first Mini in the beginning of 95- dont ask me why, but I had sold my last full sized horse and found an ad for this Mini- the rest is history, LOL It was not because of health problems- however I did get back into the big horses some a few years ago, and found that not one was time a problem for them all (I work full time) but I dont bounce so well anymore- more like a dull thud. After a big wreck in which I broke my tailbone, and a couple of other incidents, I sold the full sized ones and am very content with the Minis.

They are wonderful way to get your 'horse fix' and have a LOT of fun (I love driving, etc...) and are less expensive regarding feed bills, etc.. than the big ones- and easier to handle. YES they are addictive. I started out with one for just a pet. Yeah, right!

I did it up right. I went from belgiums to minis. I am 73 years old and still pretty active. I have a little problem bending to do my triming now.

We sold our last big horses after getting our first two miniatures. I have to say my back isn't good and my knees questionable. I use a mechanic's rolling stool for clipping and grooming and cleaning feed. I do not trim my own. They are all "stool broke", that is what I call it and it helps a ton to just roll around them. I can use either the wall or a stall door to help get up off the stool, I can even use the horse I am grooming they, as I have, have learned to adapt.

I switched to minis many years ago, not because of a physical problem, but because I just liked them. As I got older it turned out to be a good choice. I don't ride anymore because I am afraid and I have degenerative disk disease in my back. As for the bending over, I bought a mechanics stool from Sears. I've had it for 15 years now, and I use it every day. I can roll all the way around the mini and groom, clip, or put harness on. It is wonderful. I just can't bend over much and this thing really helps. They cost about $100 now, and they're worth every penny of it. If it weren't for minis, I wouldn't have a horse now. I love them so much.

Another great thing if you can afford it is to build or buy a raised platform and teach the minis to stand on it. You can do the clipping etc. of the feet and belly much easier that way.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'm getting excited to think that I might be able to actually do some fun stuff with minis that I've steered away from with the big horses because of my ongoing knee issues. I'd love to eventually be able to show a little as I've always been competitive and showed QHs for years and I miss it, I miss all the prep work and the excitement of getting ready for a show. I just wish we had more local folks involved in minis and more local shows and events, most of the trainers and instructors I'm finding are at least an hour plus away. Thanks again for all the positives associated with owning minis.

I switched from big horses to minis in 1998, haven't looked back. I did own a couple big horses during that time too but due to back problems L-1 fracture, tailbone 2x and now had a spinal fusion a year and half ago, I have RA, OO and DDD. My mini fillsl the big horse void and as was said above, I enjoy them more, hubby trims the feet. Clipping-I sit on a bucket, and load up the mini and cart in one trailer and off we go. Feed bill is less, shots are the same as a big horse.

I can't think of ever NOT having a mini.
default_wub.png

I was in a horse accident and fractured some bones in my back and pelvis, so I got minis grooming definitely hurts my back so what I did was buy one of those mechanics rolling stools it is just the right height for shaving and grooming and it has a little tray under it to keep your stuff on so as you roll around it stays with you. I only have to stand for the top of the back and there ears

I have a bad back, no knees (torn ligaments) and many broken bones that have healed with arthritis now. I have one QH that is old and he is just a big pet for me (no more riding). I love being able to drive my minis. Nothing is as comfortable as a cart with springs and a cushion! I sit on a small stool for clipping, etc. Much, much easier on my joints than a big horse would be. I still love the big horses, but as far as riding for me, not going to happen and I am not getting any younger. As I get older, I think I could even scoot around the barn in one of those motorized chairs if need be and be perfectly content to have my minis.

I too went from belgians to minis. It just became too darn far to fall anymore. After the second concussion (sick to my stomach for weeks and a headache like no other) I was done riding. I still miss riding and haven't been able to part with my draft-sized western saddle just yet, but the minis are better for me. However, bending over to clip for shows is a pain!!! My ex had build a grooming stand that was brilliant. I walked them up, it had removable sections so I could work on different parts, but they were will safe from falling, etc. But it was very complicated to put together and move, so I've not been able to use it since I took it apart to move in 2010. I hope to devise something similar again after we get settled in our new place. But in general, aside from the grooming, I now prefer the minis. Falling off a 17.1hh horse hurt the back and so does grooming a mini....but in a very different way!

Enjoy your little ones.

Latest posts

Back