Question for Kindle Users

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I bought a Kindle 3G wireless ereader earlier this summer, and I also bought a clip on light for it, made by Belkin, and I love the light! But, I need a cover, and saw the lighted covers at Amazon. Since I already have a neat light, that I can adjust really well to hit the whole page, do I need a lighted cover?

I guess the lighted cover would be nicer for traveling, as I wouldn't have to worry about the Belkin light becoming lost, but some people have said the light in the lighted cover doesn't hit the entire page and isn't adjustable.

I don't have a light and I used my Kindle on my very long flight from CA to Australia.Made out fine.I love my Kindle.I take it to doctor appointments since I know I have to wait.Enjoy

I don't have a lighted cover or a light - and I fly internationally every 6 weeks with it. Love it, and it works great just with the airplane reading lights, so don't know that a lighted cover would be needed.

I will say though, get a well padded cover. Dropping kindles really does a number on them, I originally had just your basic book type cover, and changed to a padded zip up cover. Also, if you fly a lot, I recommend a really bright color cover - i've almost left mine in the seat back pocket more times than I care to admit when I had a plain blue cover.
default_new_shocked.gif

I've been asking the same question. Even if airplane reading lights are fantastic, that only helps if you are on a plane...

I want to read when I'm camping, riding in our van, sitting outside in the evening, and many other situations where there are no lights. A lighted cover could be the answer, but I need to know if they give adequate lighting for the entire screen. Guess I'll go check out various online reviews.

I got a lighted cover with my Kindle when I bought it and I've used it a LOT. It has worked really well, I've not had any problems seeing any part of the page. I definitely recommend it.
default_yes.gif

I also have a lighted cover and LOVE it. I can read it just fine even if it is the only light in the room
default_smile.png

Angie

The lighted cover does take it's energy from the Kindle's battery but it doesn't seem to use much power. What does use a lot of power is leaving the 3G (or is it 4G?) wireless on when you go camping and the unit searches and searches for a signal til it wears itself out in a day or so. I should have realized that would happen since cell phones do the same thing. So if you have the wireless, turn it off except for when you need it and it will extend your battery life. And remember to bring the vehicle charger with you if you have one when you go camping!
default_wink.png

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! I ended up ordering a lighted cover, in burnt orange, which looked like a fairly bright color on the Amazon order page.

Before I bought the Kindle, I had been reading online reviews on it, and several of the reviewers said to keep your wireless turned off to extend battery life, so at least I knew about that drawback.

I know the light on the cover will drain the Kindle battery, but is it STILL draining the Kindle battery if you are NOT using the light, and it's just tucked into the cover?

Latest posts

Back