Question for Experienced Show People

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manelyminis

Reaction score
I was severely injured in a car accident last year. Both of my legs were crushed and I may be permanently disabled. Not sure as I am still recovering. I'm a novice amateur and haven't shown very much. I was wondering if I try to show this year and do indeed have a permanent limp, what are my chances of showing successfully in halter, showmanship and halter obstacle? Will me or my horse be penalized by the judges because I have an obvious limp? Was just trying to figure out if I should try it or if I would just be wasting my time and money. Thanks for any knowledge anny of you have regarding a situation like this!

Manely Minis

I actually have shown against plenty of people that had disabilities or limps and they still did just fine in the shows. The judges are looking at the horse not you. And even in showmanship as long as you are attentive, well groomed, and do the pattern correctly it shouldnt matter. I hope you get better but even if you do have a limp you will do just fine, dont let anything stop you!

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldnt be held against you at all. They are not there to judge you but rather the horse. I have seen a few handicap people show and do very very well.

It won't count against you at all. I've seen elderly, disabled, very young children, pregnant, and all sorts of people show miniatures with great success even at the National level! Quality, skill, and effort are what counts.

Andrea

I can speak from experience here and assure you that it won't be a problem. I have a club foot and short achilles tendon that without several operations I would not have been able to walk. I do have a pronounced limp and last year I showed AMHA. Hawk & I ended up reserve champion in Honor Roll so my limp was never held against me. My best advice would be to never let a disability stop you!! Good luck.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really good to know because I too was in a car accident and had to have some bones in my leg screwed back together! I usually have a limp, some days it's not as bad as others, some days there is no walking at all. It has been almost two years since the accident and this will be my first year showing minis. I had to sell all my regular sized horses because I couldnt ride and they were going to waste. I'm really excited to see how things go!

we are not in the US but I can tell you it doesnt go against you in Ireland either , my husband is an amputeee and limps badly , hes even fell in the ring once or twice but it didnt sop him winning championships , hes given it up now because it was too painful but he still comes to give me a helping hand

There are alot of people out there that have gotten into minature horses for just that reason. I have severe arthritis and degenerative disk disease, plus I am a senior citizen. I've had joints replaced, bones removed and my hands are so bad I have trouble holding onto a lead line and drop it a lot. It depends on the day but there have been times that I have gone into the ring limping, and some times I can't lift my left leg to even walk properly. I just suck it up and do my thing. I have won many firsts including an Area One Amatuer Obstacle. Liberty is my favorite class. I have also won a Championship in Golden Showmanship. Since my left leg is weaker then my right all it takes is a slight bump and I will fall, the worst part is trying to get up since nothing wants to work right. Just smile alot, never give in. Thank God for the Miniature horse they are so kind and some times they know you need them. The judges won't count your physical problems against you. Go for it!

Wow, thanks you guys for all your responses! It brough tears of happiness to my eyes to hear of the struggles some of you have had but you still were able to show......and successfully!!! All of the comments were very positive and gives me the confidence to go ahead and try it. I was afraid I would look less professional because of my limp and that would reflect in me not placing well. I am so thankful to God that I'm able to walk at all and didn't die in the accident. I like what Riverrose28 said, minis are so kind and sometimes know you need them. This is another testament to how wonderful our little horses are!!!
default_yes.gif
Thanks so much for all the encouragement!!

Manely Minis

I will NEVER forget the day that I fell in love with the Miniature Horse as a unique breed and not just because it was a horse or a pony, because I was "HORSE CRAZY!!!" and all horses and ponies (because they were horses and ponies) were wonderful to me! LOL My mother had taken me to The Kentucky Horse Park (it was NOT the first time that I had been to The Kentucky Horse Park! LOL) and there was a Miniature Horse breed demonstration that day; this had to be between 1988 and 1992. An old man (I want to say that they announced that he was from Florida) in a motorized wheelchair was presenting Miniature Horses in the (now old) indoor arena like you would for a halter class and then he did a jumping demonstration with them. Those "little horses" were well-groomed and well-trained and they took those jumps like top show-jumpers! It was not only impressive, it was exciting!

I also know at least two people involved in Arabians (my first passion) that are wheelchair bond; one shows in driving classes and the other shows in halter and driving classes (her mare has been expertly trained to tolerate the sights/sounds of her wheelchair).

My point is, even being in a wheelchair doesn't have to slow you down in the horse show world!

I was severely injured in a car accident last year. Both of my legs were crushed and I may be permanently disabled. Not sure as I am still recovering. I'm a novice amateur and haven't shown very much. I was wondering if I try to show this year and do indeed have a permanent limp, what are my chances of showing successfully in halter, showmanship and halter obstacle? Will me or my horse be penalized by the judges because I have an obvious limp? Was just trying to figure out if I should try it or if I would just be wasting my time and money. Thanks for any knowledge anny of you have regarding a situation like this!

Manely Minis
There is an article in QH and Paint about a gal we all know in the halter world showing in a wheelchair. At Worlds. Very inspirational!

Speaking for myself and as a judge,I would LOVE to see you out there enjoying your horse.. Get them show clothes out clip up the horses and go have a GREAT TIME!!! Hope to see you in the ring!!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back