Question about stifles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
What exactly is stifles? Is it hereditary (or if one parent has it, will it 100% get passed down)? What are the signs of stifles? What kind of treatment is there for it? I'm just curious because I keep seeing this all over the forum, and was wondering what the chances of getting it are? Thanks for any help.

Ok.. "stiffles" is NOT a disease.. a "stiffle" is a joint in the horses body. the stiffle joint is the joint that is up high on the back legs close tot he body (next one up above the hock). the stiffle problems you are hearing about is LOCKING stiffles. which means that the stiffle joint locks up and the horse is unable to move it forward ect. It can be hereditary (not advisable to breed most horses with locking) and can be caused by accidents. I dont' know TONS on it but ihave a American show pony right now that is locking up in both hind stiffles and did some research. There is lots of info if you google "locked stiffles".

Thank you for the reply. I noticed after I posted that I only used the word stifle and not locking stifles. So sorry to hear that your pony has it.

upward fixation of the patella
default_smile.png
it is RAMPANT in miniature horses. Until we cull them from breeding its going to continue to be a huge problem. Some minis get it when going thru a growth spurt and never do it again. But imo if a horse is over 2 yrs and has it its permanent and that horse shouldnt be bred.

[SIZE=14pt]Im with Kay...... it is EXTREMELY hereditary....you can perform a surgery to help it but that horse should not be used for breeding. That is exactly why GQ is a gelding not a stallion. He had the surgery and you would never know he had a problem. He is well bred and aside from the stifle problem would be stallion material.... beautiful to look at ....6 grands under 8 judges.... national top ten futurity and open in both halter and driving..... Qualities anyone would love in a stallion.... but for his corrected problem.[/SIZE]

Lyn

You all know how I feel on this subject!

Excellent response Kay.

If only more breeders were honest and responsible.

The stifle is equivalent to our knee joint. The patella (kneecap) in a horse is the same as ours, and when it locks it's because the ligament did something it shouldn't have and kept the leg locked. The locking itself isn't a problem, that's how horses sleep standing up. The problem is that it won't unlock when it should. My horse has it, it's really bad this year and we're thinking about giving in and getting the surgery after the competition season is over. It's one of the major reasons we gelded him besides the fact we didn't plan on breeding anyway and were well aware that he was not stallion quality. As Lyn pointed out you can certainly still use and even compete successfully with a horse who has the condition, you just shouldn't breed them.

Leia

Latest posts

Back