Question about Rantidine Ulcer Med

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Our little 5 month old (weaned a month ago) is showing all the classic symptoms of having ulcers. We started treating her yesterday.

She is still very mopey, playing with the water, pawing as she drinks, grinding her teeth, and only nibbling a little bit of grass hay.

She was given a dose of the Rantidine yesterday evening and again this morning. We've also given her some horsey pepto and probiotics.

My question is how fast can we expect for it to show that it is giving our little girl some relief????

Thanks,

MA

When I had my mare Misty (adult) on rantadine, it took her almost 48 hours before I saw a difference - I had her on Zantac 75 (2 times a day).

Best wishes with your little one,

Liz R.

My guy just came home from the vet a couple of days ago from colic/impaction/inflammation.

Anyways, he was on - and is still on - Ranitidine 75 mg - and will be for about 20 more days (30 days total).

Per the vet, he gets 4 1/2 tablets 2 times a day. He is feeling great now - thank God!
default_wub.png
: It takes a couple of days for it to kick in and work I think.

BTW, he weighed in at 227 pounds.

Hope your little girl gets feeling better soon!

I'm thinking about 3 days or so before you notice a change on Rantidiene. About the same on Gastroguard if my memory serves me correctly
default_wacko.png
: Both good stuff

Rinitadine is an antiacid, combine with Sucralfate which coats the ulcer so it can heal and you will see results much faster.

My 6 month old Quarter horse colt has ulcers and Doc put him on Gastroguard last Friday. By Sunday p.m. he was eating grain and feeling perkier. After one week of meds he is beginning to loose the pot belly and fill inbetween his ribs.

You should see something today but the rantadine won't heal the ulcer while the carafate/sucralfate will coat it like a chalky bandaid and allow any ulceration(s) to heal. The Ugard and ulcer gard and oh shoot what's the one Marty sent me
default_wacko.png
: do heal. The carafate is just SO much cheaper but labor intensive but they are so worth it. Light and prayers and "all" still coming from way out here.

Thanks Debs.......

Larry got some U-Guard yesterday, so we've added that to the list of stuff we're giving her.

I'm so worried for her. We've not had a foal this sick in years.

MA

Oh I hope she's feeling better soon!

Also, not sure what your feeding schedule/program is but it helps to feed hay often throughout the day so there is always some roughage in there to buffer her stomach.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back