Question about R shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only shown in AMHA shows, but Dusty is going over 34". So I am thinking of an R show in late June. There are more driving classes, in seems, than in A. Looking through the Class list, I am thinking R Country Pleasure would be comparable to the A Country Pleasure class? In the Western Country Pleasure, is the headset low? Could anyone who's been to both shows comment?

Showing is a learning experience for me as I do not have a farm or stud to promote and I am not very competitive.

Yes, R country pleasure is similar to A country pleasure.

In the Western Country pleasure, the head should be carried low, almost as low as the withers or a touch above. Think stock horses driving classes.

I think you will have fun, and yes there are a lot of driving options!

Andrea

The low-headset thing is theoretical. In reality I've seen horses moving exactly as they did in Country Pleasure classes winning that division, just with looser checks. Even the judges don't know what they're looking for yet! It was not intended to truly be a Western-style class or to emulate stock horses but they couldn't use the term "Classic" as AMHA did because it would be too confusing with the Classic Shetlands at the same show.
default_wacko.png
So they got stuck with "western" and now of course people think it's supposed to be a western pleasure class. *grumble*

Oh well! It's still nice to have somewhere to show that a tight check is not required in order to be in the ribbons.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice if crossing over between classes is forbidden. Maybe I could try him in both and see which works best for him. I like the idea of the loose check. I never use a check driving at home so it is always very loose anyway at shows.

Sorry, now that Western CP is a sanctioned class you cannot cross-enter at the same show. Based on his conformation I'd put him in there to start with and then ask the judges after the show if they think he should move up.

Leia

Nope, no cross-entering. I agree, I'd start him in Western and see if he looks out of place there.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back