Question about Miniutare Horse Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbit Horse Shire

Reaction score
I have a question about the recent AHMA show in Fletcher, NC .. It is my understanding that AMHA is an association for miniature horses 34" and under while AMHR is for horses 34" and above .. If I am mistaken can someone please give me the correct information

While at the show in Fletcher this past weekend we noticed that some classes clearly had horses over the size stated for that class .. Is that acceptable? If so why have any height limit for the class? .. This happened on more then one occassion
default_wacko.png
:

Knowing horses from a few of the farms & knowing the height of those horses I can only assume that the stated size limit for the class is not something that the AMHA judges adhere to

We are new to the miniature horse world and we are trying to figure out how things go at shows so that when we begin showing our horses we will know the proper procedure

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this confused issue. Please email me at [email protected] with your comments as I don't get the chance to view the long list of replies to posts on the forum very often .. Thanks again.
default_sad.png

Carol P.
default_yes.gif
:

That was actually two shows back to back. There was an AMHR show which allows 'over' horses from 34 - 38 and then an AMHA show that started when the AMHR was over.

That was actually two shows back to back. There was an AMHR show which allows 'over' horses from 34 - 38 and then an AMHA show that started when the AMHR was over.

Hi Jody ..

Thanks for your reply .. Yes I knew there were 2 shows .. We were there both days but the show that I'm confused about was the AMHA show on Sunday .. I would expect to see the larger horses at the AMHR show .. I just didn't think they were "legal" for the AMHA show

I have a question about the recent AHMA show in Fletcher, NC .. It is my understanding that AMHA is an association for miniature horses 34" and under while AMHR is for horses 34" and above
Yes, you are correct about AMHA. AMHR allows horses 38 inches and under, not just horses above 34 inches.
default_smile.png

I cannot answer your other questions, sorry..

Well, those horses measured in to those classes somehow by the show management or if they were mature, could have been using measurement cards from a show earlier in the year. If they were over, it would be up to the participants in the class to file protests on the heights.

Hobbit ~ Welcome to the wonderful Miniature Horse Show World :bgrin It happens and some go unpunished ... all I can say is get your $50 bills ready or grow some REALLY thick skin.

I was showing at Fletcher this past weekend. I didn't see any horses that i thought were too tall at this show and i watched most of the classes. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but i just didn't see it at that show. The horses are measured in for both AMHR and AMHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the typical complaint for not only A shows but R shows too. It is up to the stewards and or show staff to measure horses and they don't always do a perfect job. Even at both National shows there is always a problem with measuring. I will be generous and say that several people can measure the same horse and get different measurements and there is a 2 inch differential in each class so of course some horses are bigger. That being said I am sure we have all seen some horses that looked mighty big for the classes they were in but the stupid way they masure minis, at the last mane hair, can have something to do with it as som horses have manes that run far down their backs while others are much shorter. As others have said, get used to it, it is an ongoing problem.

Thanks for all the replys to my post .. Is there only one measuring stick? I want to be sure we measure the correct way at home so we know what they will "register" at a show .. I've had 3 different comments about measuring .. last hair of mane .. top of withers or bottom of withers .. Thanks

Measuring is not an exact science to be sure. An excited stressed horse will measure taller than one that is relaxed, so remember to allow your horses some time to settle in before they are measured. There are also a lot of little tricks that can be employed to get them a bit shorter as well but I won't get into that.

Both registries measure at the last hair of the mane and each registry has their own official stick.

I have the official AMHA stick called a Sligo, but haven't been using it because it warped. Someone has offered to fix it for me, I just have to pack it up and get it sent off. So for now, I am using a fairly inexpensive stick I picked up at an auction that is suprisingly pretty accurate. We have found that we measure a bit tall at home, which is fine, we know if we get them measured in at home we will have no problem at the shows. Just remember, a relaxed horse measures smaller, so keep the stallions away from other horses so they don't get all puffed up. I have witnessed first hand the measuring of an excited horse that was just walked in large easy circles for just a minute. Made over 1/2" difference in height.

Latest posts

Back