Question about mare about to foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
So my last mare is due June 15th but usually foals early. I think she will continue this routine as the baby is back and her udder is full already. Heres the thing. I noticed today that she was not only touchy with her udders he vulva was really swallen. She has not gotten loose back there shes actually her vulva is very tight. Tighter then normal to. When I looked inside it was very red, dark red. and she seemed very touchy with that to, like it was sore or something. I have never incountered this. Is everything ok with her? Is it shes just getting close or is it something to be worried about?

Thanks,

Alisha

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it won't be long now!
default_wink.png
default_luck.gif

Sounds like it will be soon and it also is possible that she has been rubbing causing her vulva to become swollen and red. I've certainly had them do that! Keep a close watch on her!

Alisha,

The one thing you have to remember with these mares is, they have not read the book.

Sounds like she is getting ready to go. She may soften up just before she foals. Most mares seem to be very touchy in their bag area and their vulva area when they are close to foaling. Being very red back there is a good indication she is going to foal sooner than later.

Nothing to worry about, but I would certainly be watching her.

My last mare that just foaled, she did not get swollen or red back there, but the night she foaled, her bag was quite hard. The mare before that, she was not soft and flabby anywhere, but her bag was hard and her vulva was swollen. She foaled that night.

Ok im glad. I was hoping that was the case. The foal was moving a lot tonite.. it was definetly back by the flank area but since it was still moving im guessing it wont be tonite? Is that right? I was told if the foal is still moving its not quite in place but getting there. Have you had a foal moving the night it was born?

Alisha

I had a mare whose foal was doing gymnastics in her belly not 2 hours before it arrived!!! I think it only turned and pushed up when it was ready to come out.

VERY CLOSE keep her on a watchful eye! My mares are touchy when they are ready too. ANd ya my foals were flipping over about 5 times kicking saying get me the heck out of here and hey look 45 mins later i said WHAT A FLASHY FILLY!

So my last mare is due June 15th but usually foals early. I think she will continue this routine as the baby is back and her udder is full already. Heres the thing. I noticed today that she was not only touchy with her udders he vulva was really swallen. She has not gotten loose back there shes actually her vulva is very tight. Tighter then normal to. When I looked inside it was very red, dark red. and she seemed very touchy with that to, like it was sore or something. I have never incountered this. Is everything ok with her? Is it shes just getting close or is it something to be worried about?

Thanks,

Alisha

What you are describing sounds like what is called "bloody show".....It's when the vulva is elongated, puffy, and inside the veins are exposed and on the surface. It's one of several signs .........

Does she have a bag and can you get liquid? With what you describe, and if you can get sticky liquid, I'd be CAMPING OUT.

Read the basics on our health page for foaling..... It gives some various signs to watch for.

http://www.miniatureventures.com/ismymarepregnant.html

Well no baby. I was sure camping out last night and will be doing so till she foals.

What you are describing sounds like what is called "bloody show".....It's when the vulva is elongated, puffy, and inside the veins are exposed and on the surface. It's one of several signs .........
Her vulva wasnt elongated it was very tight and srunched up. It was just very swollen and it was very red inside.

She has a full bag but I cant get any liquid. Never really good at it though. This is her 5th foal. She had 4 foals in a row and I gave her a yr off before this one. Her milk vein is large and her bag is full and tight. This morning the baby was doing a lot of moving again. I can almost see it moving into position. I have the feeling it will be within the couple of days but man she had me a little scared last night. I don't remember her ever getting swallen back there like that. Will keep you all updated!

Alisha

My mare had a full udder too and I couldn't get any milk out, but she gave birth the next day (I'm not great with trying to extract milk either).

Really does sound like she's very close................how exciting for you!

Well I was able to get some milk out. It was not enough to test but it was a yellowish color and very sticky. Im beginning to think tonight!!! Shes still not as relaxed as I would think she should be. But other then that shes showing every other sign.

Alisha

This mare is going to drive me nuts. Not much has changed. Still no baby. She was really kicking at her belly and biting it last night but still nothing. I hope she dont make me camp out for a whole week like Bahama did. I can't take that. LOL

Alisha

Alisha,

Id say keep a close watch on her ! and I dont know she might make ya wait ! LOl seems like its been a pretty strange year!

My FS arabian mare kept me "camped out " for almost a month from the first day she waxed ! on Feb 28th she foaled on March 24th !

she waxed again the morning the colt was finally born.

But she did get the swollen vulva and deep red inside about a week before hand - she was scratchin her tail alot etc...

id say if she hasnt had it by now when i post this to just keep watchin her close and get ready shes not goin to be waitin much longer !

GOOD LUCK !
default_wink.png

Well did the night feeding and her vulva is relaxed and i was able to get milk from her. It tested READY!!!! So she has to foal within the next 24 hrs. Lets just hope its tonight.

Alisha

Latest posts

Back