Question about Lethal White FOALS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
With the new mare I bought, Hope, I have the option of breeding her to a 29" homozygeous stallion. Hope is "solid color" HOWEVER, she has a blaze and a partial blue eye. Her sire is Reflection (who has a wide blaze I think) and I do not know te color of her dam. So, I think it is possible with the blaze and partial blue eye that Hope could get genetically pinto (?).

Can someone who is knowledgable advise me if the horses pictured (Hope and her potential beau) could produce a Lethal White foal? I do not want that kind of heart break for myself nor Hope.

I may choose to take her as open any way, but want to have as much information as possible to make the best choice and this LW stuff is not anything I have ever tried to understand before. I know there are people here who do understand what to avoid in order to not get a lethal baby.

Thanks!

Jill

Patches%201.jpg

Patches%202.jpg

Hope%201.jpg

HOPEWED2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can only get a lethal foal when 2 LWO positive horses are bred together, than you will have 25% chance on a lethal.

Is the stallion LWO tested? if he is positive you need to test your mare.

Offcourse it would be wise to test her anyway, if she tests negative you can breed her to any stallion you´d like, even a LWO positive one.

You have time to get her tested, if she is negative and you like the stallion, breed her. It would be nice if he were tested also.

Robin

Yes...best thing to do, is simply test the mare. You will find a link on this site, to Animal Genetics Inc. all you need to do is print a copy of their submission form, pull some mane hairs like thay ask, and send them in with $25... Then...you KNOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back