Quest Brand Dewormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
When Quest first came out there was a lot of controversy regarding its use on miniature horses.

Could the people that are currently using this product on their miniatures please give us an update?

I am debating about using it.

Please PM me if you do not want to go public.

Thank you.

Quest does not have as high of an overdose margin as other dewormers... (such as Ivermectin or Pyrantel Pamoate which you can give ten times the weight dose and have reduced chances of toxicity.)

Because miniature horses are so small, it is very easy to overdose them. Have you ever had the plunger slip and the horse get the whole tube? I have, a couple of times (with ivermectin). How easy is it to give a 50 pound foal an accurate dose?

Although I do believe that Quest is safe GIVEN IN A VERY ACCURATE WEIGHT DOSE, the risks outweigh the safety. I would rather deworm with safer dewormers and have peace of mind. A thorough, regular deworming program can be created without needing to add Quest to the rotation.

That is my opinion of it.

Andrea

I definitely agree with Disneyhorse. I would not use Quest on my miniatures. At one time there was a disclaimed on the packaging to not use on minis.

Absolutely ditto what Disneyhorse said!! I would never want to risk it.... there are too many other products out there that are much safer.... and yes, I have had the plunger slip on a worming tube a couple of times!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

With so many good safe wormers available I would not take a chance.

Joyce

I agree with everyone who doesn't trust Quest, but here is a new wrinkle as far as I am concerned. I have had all my minis enrolled in the Preventicare Program since 2004. This is a Pfizer program that pays $5,000 toward colic surgery if you enroll your horse, give them daily Stronigd C that you get from your vet, have an annual exam, and paste worm twice a year. BUT JUST RECENTLY THEY ADDED THE REQUIREMENT THAT YOU MUST USE Quest FOR THIS (that you also get from your vet). See Preventicare requirements. I have always used Ivermectin. Oh, and they also just tacked on a $50 annual fee per horse.

I am not sure what to do, but I am afraid if I drop out I will end up back at Tufts paying for another colic surgery!!! I put off signing up Target in the program and that's what happened to him. And of course, once that happens they are no longer eligible.

TM, why not just buy the daily wormer??

There, are incidentally, a few problems with daily wormers!

The bottom line is that we are never, ever going to find a wormer that is totally risk free, and works.

Fenbendazole is as near as you get, and it has a high resistance problem, and should not be counted on to remove anything except encysteds.

Quest says it gets rid of encysteds, but, if you read the small print (and yes, I always do) it actually is only proven to get rid of around 80% of the, whereas the 5 day Fenbendazole course gets rid of 99.9%, near enough, in fact, to allow it to claim it gets rid of "all" encysteds, over here, and advertising is strictly regulated.

Moxidectin has two problems:

It has a low "overdose" rating, which is only X4

It is held in the FAT, the body fat of your horse, and released slowly.

If you have a look back through the last months threads on here you will see that a lot of Mini people are paranoid about their Mini carrying fat. Now, weigh that horses, and dose it with the correct amount, for it's weight, of Moxidectin, and, in fact, as it does not have the body fat to store the drug, it will be released into the bloodstream in one go, effectively overdosing, possibly fatally, your horses.

Add to this the problem that a lot of Minis weigh very little anyway, so you are dealing with a tiny amount, and you can see how fatalities occur.

The fatalities in Minis have not been caused by overdosing, the one that was recorded in heart rending detail on this Forum had it's weight taken as accurately as is possible for a layman.

Now, having said all that, before I knew of the problems, I used Moxidectin on my animals with no side effects whatsoever.

They were, however, by US terms, I think morbidly obese
default_laugh.png

So were not exactly lacking in body fat to store the chemical.

I used it for over a year, on animals that were in show conditional and broodmares, and on weaned foals (it was this that actually got me researching it as it states it is not safe for foals under 4 months, yet Minis weigh less than an Arab 4 month old foal)

Even so, in all fairness I have to say I did not have any problems.

It was not that much easier to do, however, the syringe was a nightmare and it is expensive.

All told, I no longer buy it and am happy to use Ivermectin every two months, no rotating whatsoever, merely adding Praziquantel for Tapes and Fenbendazole for encysteds, twice a year.

There is STILL no resistance to Ivermectin, in horses.

I use the Quest on the big horse. Once a year.

I have not used it at all on the minis. Though the vet keeps telling me I can for my once a year purge. Just makes me nervous with what you all have said.

I would be calling them and asking them about that if they know about the issues with the minis. Gosh - seems you can't win!!!

We recently attended an Equine event put on by our vet clinic.

One talk was regarding worming.

One of the points made was that rotating dewormers was not required.

They said to have the stool analyzed and worm for whatever parasite found.

They said that there are cases of colic caused by an impaction of worms.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Genie brings up a good point to have the manure tested and then go from there.

I have heard too many bad things about Quest wormer. I have not and will not use it. Ivermectin and SafeGuard are my choice wormers.

Remember that encysted small strongyles and Tapeworms do not show on faecal counts, so should be dosed as if assuming they exist, but a faecal count is always a good place to start.

I would get the kit, though, form the manufacturers, I know this is very cynical of me but a Vet who is selling you wormers has a vested interest in your horses having worms!!!

If you are ever told your horse has no worms, btw, ask for a recount, as such an animal does not exist!!

I wont tuch it and where I work (TSC) I let my mini owner customers know not to use it either!

Excellent research and write up Rabbits!!!!!

Latest posts

Back