Quest Brand Dewormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will use it on my large horses, double check weight with a a tape and formula. Take the average of those two weights.

I NEVER use it on my minis... not worth the risk when you can cover the parasites in other ways.

Quest may be "safe" with an accurate dosage...

but how many have an ACCURATE weight for their minis?

...and I don't consider weight tapes or any formula accurate -- at least not for something this critical.

I envy those with access to a horse or freight scale. Our vet doesn't even have one. I need to call around for other possibilities.

But even with a precise weight, I wouldn't use Quest considering all the other risks mentioned. I simply won't take the chance with my kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is Susanne, it is not safe with the accurate weights.

It is not safe with large horses either, although I have no first hand experience of that.

Jane, I agree -- notice the quotation marks around "safe" and my reference to the other risks that make it a no-go in my book.

I was intending this more as a response to those (including many vets) who suggest that the problem is with inaccurate dosage -- putting the blame on the horse owner.

From what I've heard & read it is, provided that 1) the horse is not too thin (something to do with insufficient amounts of fat allowing the moxidectin to cross the brain barrier & cause neurological problems) and 2) the horse does not have a heavy worm load.
The horses (big and small) that I have heard of dying due to colic following administration of Quest died because they shed a very heavy worm load--the dying parasites caused lesions in the intestines when they let go en masse. The horse didn't have to be overdosed, it's just that the Quest is very effective & that isn't safe for horses that haven't been dewormed often enough or with an effective product prior to the use of Quest. Used properly and regularly I believe that it is safe--I know people that use it with no problems at all. I personally do not use it, because I do not have a scale & can not weigh my horses to make sure that I get the dosage right.

If the horse is overdosed (or if the horse is too thin at the time he is given the correct dosage) he is likely to have neurological problems--not colic.

Remember to try and stay away from Ivermectin wormers on the babys. Ivermectin can be really irritating on their stomachs. We like to use Pancure, or Safe-Gaurd, which is a generic of Pancure.

I know a woman who used Quest on a 13 hand pony... the results were horrific. The anus was red and raw, there was a lot of discomfort for the poor pony. This woman swears that she was within the margins of how much to give. The horse was sore for about 1 month. The product should be re-formulated or taken off the market IMO. I keep reading that we are overworming horses and they will soon build up a resistance. This was in my magazine HORSE, it comes from England . I deworm every other month with Ivermectain, Strongid, equivec( something like that ) and occasionally pancure. In the winter months Dec . Jan Feb, when we are covered in snow and ice I do NOT give a dewormer , but keep the stall and field very clean, and feed from hay nets. This was recommended by 2 different vets and a trainer here.I think we all agree Quest is not the best product on horses.

From what I've heard & read it is, provided that 1) the horse is not too thin (something to do with insufficient amounts of fat allowing the moxidectin to cross the brain barrier & cause neurological problems) and 2) the horse does not have a heavy worm load.
The horses (big and small) that I have heard of dying due to colic following administration of Quest died because they shed a very heavy worm load--the dying parasites caused lesions in the intestines when they let go en masse. The horse didn't have to be overdosed, it's just that the Quest is very effective & that isn't safe for horses that haven't been dewormed often enough or with an effective product prior to the use of Quest. Used properly and regularly I believe that it is safe--I know people that use it with no problems at all. I personally do not use it, because I do not have a scale & can not weigh my horses to make sure that I get the dosage right.

If the horse is overdosed (or if the horse is too thin at the time he is given the correct dosage) he is likely to have neurological problems--not colic.
If you read my original reply you will see that this is not so, that Quest relies on far too many things being right to be safe for any horse, large or small.

I am not going to repeat my post, but Moxidectin is stored in fat, if there is not enough fat you overdose the horse.

I am not personally willing to risk the life of any of my horses on whether or not my horse is fat enough!

Latest posts

Back