Putting weight on rescue minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally would consult with your vet as far as nutrition, deworming, and dental work goes considering the condition they are in. On Titus considering his condition the vet may very well want to run some blood work on him. Do you know if the mare was in with the studs? Considering she is in the better shape I hope she isn't pregnant.

As far as I personally would do as far as nutrition goes I also recommend a Senior feed. I just have to recommend the SeniorGlo by ADM as well as the Healthy Glo meal which is a fat supplement and its a powder so you can easily mix with the senior feed. The good thing about these products is you don't need to feed a whole lot of it, and of course some good grass or alfalfa hay.

Kuddos to you for rescuing them.

Seeing those photos......I'd definitely have them vet checked......Your vet may not be great about nutrition (many aren't), but he/she

can tell you if they have been damaged by starvation. As I've said prior and others have, all changes and increases in feed should

be done gradually. Bless you on taking these little guys.

So sad to see the shape they are in. I think some people are more than "STUPID" to let there animals get this far. They are lucky to have you, hope all goes well for them all.

Titus was actually seen by our usual vet after doing this sometime in the middle of the night and having a horrible crook in his neck. His left front leg shook terribly and he walked like he was drunk. His neck straightened out on its own and the vet said most likely he pinched a main nerve that goes across the shoulder because he has no fat or muscle to protect it. It should get better over time. Needless to say these feed troughs were removed after this.

Our vet did suggest a senior feed and worming but didn't really say a whole lot else. So I figured I'd just ask the people that have some real life experience with minis.

How do y'all feel about alfalfa for them?

image.jpeg

Alfalfa should be good. It has extra protein and calories, and it tastes better, so it might help them gain faster.

Be careful - you do not want them gaining too fast, because their gutt cannot handle it and you could end up doing more harm than good. Follow your vet's suggestion. Senior feed is a total feed. Personally, I would be very careful about alfalfa if they are not used to it. It is really rich, and they could end up with diarrhea if they are not used to it...which could actually kill them, especially Titus. Senior feed and free choice grass hay would be my suggestion.

Some good articles from knowledgeable sources - and ALL stress the need to go SLOW:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/refeeding-starved-horses

https://www.southernstates.com/articles/feeding-the-starved-horse.aspx

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/local-assets/pdfs/pdfs_animal_welfare/nutrition-hr03jul.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when doing a faecal test that encysted small red worms (which are going to be your mai9n problem) do not show on any tests, and tapeworms only show on a separate, saliva test. If your Vet agrees your best road to take with worming is the Fenbendazole (Panacur Guard) double dose, for at least five days (I did ten days but you do what your Vet says!) You then wait ten days and do the Praziquantel/ Ivermectin duo that gets tapes (Here in the UK I can get Praziquantel separately but that does not seem to be an option in the US), As many others have said, go very very slowly. Restrict hay, even when you are feeling sorry as anything for them. Their stomachs will have shrunk and to give them too much roughage could actually kill them. Soaked grass pellets (not "cubes") can help and if you could find grass hay chaff, or someone with a chaff cutter, that would be wonderful. I am sure your Vet can score them on the Henneke scale ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henneke_horse_body_condition_scoring_system) but I have to say I would give Titus between a 1 and a 2 which does not bode well I am afraid. Be prepared- I am sure you are- you could yet lose him. Thank You, on behalf of the horses.

I am late to this thread and I just opened it. I am so glad to see these guys have found a home that cares. The condition of the little one is just deplorable. Was animal control in on this? I would like to think the prior owner would be charged with neglect. If he/she is and found guilty, it may keep other animals from suffering at her/his hands.

I hope they are improving, I will say a prayer for little Titus and his crew.

Kayleadailey you are an angel for rescuing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god. I didn't now minis had bones. That is so sad
default_sad.png
thank god you got them!!!! I can't wait to see how they fill out.

Here's a 2 week update for y'all! They're absolutely thriving! Their real personalities are showing and they actually have the energy to run and play and buck! Titus is doing wonderful and I have no doubt he's gonna make a full recovery!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow, they look to be coming along nicely for you.

Just remember not to push the weight gain too fast, slow and easy is best. I'm sure just having regular meals is making all the difference in the world. Can't wait to see them mid-summer when they are really blooming.

We've had good luck putting weight on safely and I think balanced with complete senior feed (regardless of horse age) as the staple and nice, soft hay. Simple, but that works.

If it's not already been done, it would be good to see if their teeth need any floating to be sure they can get the most out of their food. It's important they can chew to the best of their ability to get what they most can from their food. If they cannot fully chew well, there is a lot that comes out the other end unused and wasted.

Good luck!

OMG! I only saw the original post before my reply above. Those horses, especially Titus, are so lucky! He would not have lasted many more days wherever he was before! Thank God they got into your hands!
default_wub.png

Wow, they look like they are very high quality horses, it's so sad to think that someone could do this to these poor guys
default_sad.png

I have had great luck with adding soaked beat pulp and rice brain to all the rescues I have had. The beet pulp is great for fiber intake and makes sure they are getting plenty of water. I know when you are trying to re-introduce foods to rescues, even when you are doing it gradually they can still get diarrhea and the biggest problem people have is the horses get dehydrated. The beet pulp helps make sure they have plenty of water intake, plus they seem to like the mush, especially when it is warm. I have added their grain and grass pellets to the must too to soak and they've loved it!

It looks like you are doing a fine job! Where are you located if I may ask?

Thank you for the update, I was worried about little Titus and I am glad to see he is picking up. How is the nerve in his shoulder (neck?) doing?

What a great job you are doing with these horses. It really broke my heart to see the condition they were in. It's hard to believe that they look this good in the short period of time you have had them. Brings great joy to see there improvements and I think you are doing great! I too can't wait for more pictures as they continue to do so good. Thanks for the update and they are blessed to have you!

Latest posts

Back