Purina's New Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spots n splashes

Reaction score
I want to share with everyone that I received an e-mail from Purina yesterday. They are coming out with a new feed and it is made specifically for Miniature horses and Ponies. I was hoping that they would come out with one and now they have. Purina has always been my favorite feed and thou I don't use it right now I will definitely try this one. I am not sure if it's out in stores yet. Just checked their website and there's nothing about it so far but I have the e-mail address of the lady that e-mailed me as well as a telephone number. If anyone is interested in finding out more about it let me know and I will pass on the info. She can send you a PDF file with the details on the new feed like they have on their website for all the other feeds.

Is this their "Platform" mini and pony feed that came out last year or the year before? Or is it a NEW formula?

Andrea

It is my understanding that Farnum is the maker of Platform and it was milled by Purina. I don't know if there is anything new or what this is about now. If its new let us know how it goes.

The last time we tried to make a change we crashed and burned. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it but I still will be anxious to hear the pros and cons of a new product.
default_biggrin.png

Oh, you're right, Marty... it was Farnam, but I thought Purina milled it... but I'm not sure. Maybe Purina wanted their own label for something similar, if it is a competing brand?

Either way, I don't personally believe that minis have special dietary needs. Every equine, big to small, is an individual with different performance and metabolic needs, despite their size. It's just scaled up or down with how much they get
default_smile.png

Andrea

I do use purina products, but if its based on the same principal as the platform mini feed it will be a thumbs down form me. I'll stick with what I have, it works for me, I just tweek the amounts from horse to horse and season to season.

From looking at the file that was attached it will basically have almost the same ingridients as what they put in Omolene, Equine Jr and Strategy. I don't think it will be as bad as that Platform feed. I am looking forward to trying it because they have been researching it and it will be nice to know how much of feed each individual horse needs because its based on minis not big horses.

I may be wrong but I think its a new feed. And of I remember correctly, it is Bonnie and Larry Shearin's ponies that are pictured on the bag.
default_smile.png

Hi

Does anyone know the protein, fat, fiber content of the new feed? Is it pelleted or sweet feed?

Thanks,

Beth

After my unfortuante experience with the Platform mini/pony feed I don't think I will try it. If it comes out well at the end thats great, but I'll stick to whats working for me. Hopefully Purina will advertise the new feed in the Journal.

This IS a new feed. It will be coming out Monday of next week. Calories per pound are 1275 and the carbs/sugars run 17 to 21% according to amounts fed.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein (min) .......................................13.50%

Lysine (min) ..................................................... 0.80%

Crude Fat (min)................................................. 4.50%

Crude Fiber (max) ..........................................18.00%

Calcium (min) ................................................... 0.80%

Calcium (max) .................................................. 1.30%

Phosphorus (min) ............................................ 0.65%

Copper (min)............................................ 75.00 ppm

Zinc (min)............................................... 270.00 ppm

Selenium (min)...........................................0.60 ppm

Vitamin A (min).................................. 6,000.00 IU/lb

Vitamin E (min)......................................125.00 IU/lb

hmmm seeing as we're not an area with a lot of mini horse owners, I wonder if they'll offer it here? I am feeding the Purina strategy and it would be nice to have one that had amounts/lbs for Miniatures
default_smile.png

hmmm seeing as we're not an area with a lot of mini horse owners, I wonder if they'll offer it here? I am feeding the Purina strategy and it would be nice to have one that had amounts/lbs for Miniatures
default_smile.png
Most feeds are listed "X 100 lb", so I just work from that. I'm guessing that this new feed would be formulated the same way, just have the calculations done for us.

I want to share with everyone that I received an e-mail from Purina yesterday. They are coming out with a new feed and it is made specifically for Miniature horses and Ponies. I was hoping that they would come out with one and now they have. Purina has always been my favorite feed and thou I don't use it right now I will definitely try this one. I am not sure if it's out in stores yet. Just checked their website and there's nothing about it so far but I have the e-mail address of the lady that e-mailed me as well as a telephone number. If anyone is interested in finding out more about it let me know and I will pass on the info. She can send you a PDF file with the details on the new feed like they have on their website for all the other feeds.
I am interested on more info, could you pass along the info to me.

[email protected]

I am interested on more info, could you pass along the info to me.

[email protected]

I am waiting for permission from the lady who gave me this info to post her e-mail address and phone number here. If you want more information on this feed you can ask her all the questions you want. She will send you a PDF file with the e-mail. I don't know if there is a way to post that file on here that is why I'm just going to put her contact info here. I just passed on the information I received from the file. I am sure she can give you whatever other information you want to know. Sorry I wasn't much of help. I just passed on what I knew. She will be coming to our farm next Thursday and bringing us a bag of the new feed for sampling. As soon as I hear from her with permission, I will pass on her contact information.

I think alot depends on your actual horses. Most feed companies have a very wrong idea that all minis and ponies are very easy keepers and that is simply not the truth. I have a 38 inch mini who eats about as much as my 29 inch minis and I have a 36 inch mini who eats more then my 45 inch pony. They are all different and all you can do is trial and error until you find what works best and often it is not one feed that will work best for all your horses

Attention anyone who would like to find out more information on this new feed. The e-mail address is [email protected]. Her name is Anita Hood. Her phone number is 770-364-1012. She replies very quickly by e-mail or you can call her.

I do agree that everyone has their own feeding guide and what works for one farm may not work for another. I simply shared this because I received the information and it was not advertised anywhere else (not to my knowledge anyways), so I thought I would share. This topic is not intended for anyone to change their feeding program or anything like that. Just passing on the info. If you don't like or feed Purina products thats okay. I do agree with sticking with what works for everyone. But, there are some of us out there (me for instance) who are still learning alot about miniature horses and are still trying to figure out which feeding program will work best for us.

Latest posts

Back