Purina Ultium Growth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Has anyone fed Purina Ultium Growth (different that the ultium competition) to their weanlings and yearlings? I have used Equine Jr. in the past, and was not thrilled with it. That leaves me with the options of Omelene 300, and Ultium Growth, and the main difference between the two is that ultium growth is pelleted and has 9% fat, omelene 300 is sweet feed and has 6% fat, both are 16% protein.

Any input? I know equine Jr is a very popular feed, Its just never worked well for me personally, actually I wasn't thrilled with the equine adult feed for my horses either.

I am sorry, I just cannot imagine someone not being happy with Equine Jr., or Sr. That is probably one of the best feeds on the market today.

I would use Omelene 300 on the miniatures as the fat is lower 6% - 9% is too high for a mini in general and nearly to high for one that is being sweated and worked - combined with 16% protein......

i also did not like JR or Sr for my ponies and minis and was not pleased with how they looked.

I have a couple ponies and had a mini who were very hard keepers and the Ultium really helped with that. It is a great feed although very expensive at least here. In the long run it worked out though as I needed to feed much less. It is in my mind anyway somewhat equivilant to the Nutrena XTN feed.

I am no longer feeding it as once the ponies put on their weight they were able to maintain with Safe Choice but with cold weather here I might have to rethink that

Mizbeth, I was speaking about the Equine Junior, and Equine Adult, not Equine Senior (the equine adult is from the "equine family" complete feed line that JR. and SR. are from, its just geared for mid aged horses).

When I fed the jr I fed it to a horse as a weanling and yearling, and then as a yearling send that horse out to a trainer because I couldn't seem to get him with with bloom on him. The trainer did the same work routine, and simply changed the horse to strategy at the recommended amount instead of the JR. and within 30 days there was a very noticeable different, and at 60 days, he looked like a different horse. He looked weedy and gangly on the Jr, even with being fed more than the recommend amount. I do also feed hay along with my feed.

The equine adult couldn't keep weight on my 11 year old gelding who had always stayed fat on strategy. I switched to the equine adult when he was boarded and they had less then perfect hay. He still got hay, but I wanted him to also get some extra fiber from his feed. He also dropped condition quickly and looked weedy, on more than the recommended amount. I sent him out to a driving trainer for a refresher as he had last season off while I was pregnant, and they switched him to Ultium Competition, and he put all of the weight back on in 30 days.

Im not sure why my horses don't do well on the purine "equine family" feeds, possibly because they aren't a fixed formula feed maybe they make different batches with different ingredients for different areas.

I just purchased a bag yesterday to start feeding to my 2 year old mini gelding - i have read excellent reviews - I started him on it last night - seems to like the taste and texture - if all goes well i am planning on keeping him on this until he is at least 4 - Good luck - let us kno whow it is going

I fed Ultium Growth to my pregnant mares & weanlings last spring & summer. Took them off when they were close to yearlings, as I didn't think they needed it - and it's expensive. I liked the results though, my babies grew nicely and stayed sound & healthy. I love the regular Ultium - for horses that need it - puts weight on like nothing else I've found. I have always had great luck with Equine Sr too, haven't been as impressed with the Jr.

Jan

I have never fed ultium growth, but I have fed omelene 300 and I love it. I also like equine jr, but I found that I had to feed quite a bit more than recommended and it got too expensive to feed all of my weanlings/yearlings it. So omelene 300 is what I switched to and I have had great results with it-i also feed more than what is recommended, but I am in a very cold area so I just feed more of everything. I also add rice bran oil to help with coats and help fill in their toplines and then free choice alfalfa/grass hay.

Another who does NOT like Purina Junior, I just couldn't get that "look". I switched to Masterfeed's Junior feeds and LOVE them. JMO. Can't help the OP, but good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back