Purina Omelene.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
I had a few questions about " Purina Omelene".

I here its a good feed and currently my Gelding is on Beet Pulp soaked (1 Scoop) and a little tin of Equalizer (minerals exc). I was thinking about taking him off beet pulp I am not sure yet
default_smile.png
I just want to know how much omelene you would feed to a senior gelding who gains weight fairly easily along with how much hay morning and night. Hes get 1 flake morning and night now its the winter , just thinking ahead. I want him to be a little more fit this year and of course healthy.

He always gains weight on the belly and it just drops ; do I need ot feed beat pulp to tuck him up in the right places. He never does gain weight on the shoulder or neck. He gets full day turn out as well.

OR would you choose purina omelene for a easy keeper
default_smile.png

Thanks
default_smile.png
Always willing to learn;

I know I asked about feed before but Im just rethinking beet pulp and I just really want to know whats best for my gelding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not one who would feed Omelene. I would feed him a complete feed (adult or senior, depending on if he tends to gain weight too fast) and soft grass hay. Minerals, flax seed, and a good deworming program... That's all I'd be putting in his mouth (other than a bit!)
default_yes.gif

I have always used omelene 200 as well as the very large show farm my filly had come from. Always had excellent results. Horses stay nice and fit. I used alfalfa/orchard grass mix hay. Omelene is a complete feed and has beet pulp in it.

I have always used omelene 200 as well as the very large show farm my filly had come from. Always had excellent results. Horses stay nice and fit. I used alfalfa/orchard grass mix hay. Omelene is a complete feed and has beet pulp in it.

Oh! All this time, I thought Omolene wasn't a complete feed, but a sweet feed :DOH! :DOH! :DOH!

EDIT: No, I was right actually. See the Purina site below. It is a sweet feed NOT a complete feed:

About Omolene ---> http://horse.purinamills.com/products/Omolene_200.asp

About The Entire Purina Line of Horse Feeds (including their complete feeds) ---> http://horse.purinamills.com/products/complete_list.asp

We feed the show horses Purina Race Ready which is basically Omalene 200 with beet pulp. They also get Alfalfa.

They get 3-4 cups (the little cup in the Strongid bucket) twice a day plus a big handful of alfalfa twice a day.

I feed either omelene 200 or pure pride 100 both are purina products and have had great results. I feed the youngsters the 200 and anyone who tends to gain too much the pure pride. They tend to stay in show shape year round and I don't have to tweak the feed much, plus I have never had a problem with sweet feed. I only feed one horse beet pulp as he is a hard keeper. I might add I have driving horses and they have PLENTY of energy.

What about Nutrena Safechoice or Nutrena Lite Balance? I would highly recomend something of that sort for your gelding.

I personally prefer the Buckeye products, Nutrena products are my second choice
default_smile.png

He always gains weight on the belly and it just drops ; do I need ot feed beat pulp to tuck him up in the right places. He never does gain weight on the shoulder or neck.
If I can picture what you are saying I would not call him an easy keeper at all. THe fact that his belly just drops and not weight all over says he isnt getting enough nutrition. I would certianly put him on a grain, but dont cut the beat pulp.

My minis get 1 cup soaked beat pulp, 2 cups platform, 1 half cup sweet feed. They get 1 flakes of grass hay a feeding. Sometimes they clean it up at every feeding, sometimes they carry it through two feedings. THe only droping bellies I have here are those who are preggers.

I feed my babys / weanlings Omelene 300

My boys & mares get rolled oats, mineral supplement, beet pulp & veg oil.

I just mix it all together and feed... when I really want to spoil them I add

some hot water to make a mash ... they love me lots then !!!

Devon,

I feed Omolene 200, and yes if he were mine I'd keep him on the beet pulp and add grain as well. It's sort of hard to visualize, but it really takes feed to get them over the hump (belly - no muscle). You have to have fat to make muscle, that's the way it works.

Depending on how much you work him will depend on how much I'd feed him. But all my show horses are on 3-5 cups of grain, 1/2 flake of hay twice a day, and then 2 cups of beet pulp at lunch....and then grazing turnout every other day for a few hours.

When I have a horse that just has a belly but it not wormy, just holding weight in the belly I have to feed them through the stage.

I'd put him on some grain now, maybe start slow with 2 cups and see if it helps any. Good thing is right now your at a good time to try things in winter. (and I actually prefer my show horses to get a tad "plump" during this season, as come time to get to "work" again it's easier to take off some weight than to try to put a bunch on when working)

My show horses right now are on full pasture, 24/7 hay ext...and only 3 cups of grain. They are all a little plump but no "bellies". I'll adjust their diet when I bring them back in their stalls in March, add more grain, add beet pulp and reduce hay.

Thanks exactly what I needed to know.

- Yes Ashley you are probably right as he hasnt been fed grain for the first 5 years of his life just started in september. Im going to add flax seed for his coat but it already loooks much healthier
default_smile.png
Though he wasnt "unhealthy" not having grain he had energy and looked well fed.

But I am going to say it wasn't extremely dropped . It was more a big layer of fat over his ribs you couldnt feel them if you pushed. I think he is looking better (tucked up) since hes been on beet pulp. I think hed have potential tucked up his beautiful neck just doesnt fit with his body anymore. I know it can LOL. Hes gotten 2 Reserve Grand this year chunky soo Im hoping wieght off will help
default_smile.png

;

Hi,

Well.... all mine right now except for one mare that's due in the end of February/March she gets a 1/2 Cup of concetrated grain with her beet pulp & oats. But everyone gets 1 1/2 cup of beet pulp (soaked) along with 1 1/2 cup of whole oats (twice a day). The mares get 1 flake of grass hay & everyone else gets alfalfa. And everyone does VERY well on this feed! You take them off the beet pulp and thier appearance is going to start "sagging" and your horses topline will start falling to the bottom! You just can't go wrong with the beet pulp! If any you just need to ad oats!
default_yes.gif

I just got an e-mail back from Mary Cooper at Purina Mills and she said Omelene 200 Is complete with Vitamins and minerals but you should feed 1% of horses body weight in hay. Also I was told before by Purina Mills that Equine Senoir should never be fed to a horse under 2 years old. I believe that is on their website. I believe only pelleted foods are complete with hay(not sure though).I have sometimes had trouble with choking on pelleted food.I will stand by the omelene 200 as I have had great results and never any colic. Also several grand champions on my Mares we showed. There are several great quality feeds out there but this is what I had luck with.One Mare came from Jo-Co miniatures as a weanling and all their horses were on it and looked great.

I just got an e-mail back from Mary Cooper at Purina Mills and she said Omelene 200 Is complete with Vitamins and minerals but you should feed 1% of horses body weight in hay. Also I was told before by Purina Mills that Equine Senoir should never be fed to a horse under 2 years old. I believe that is on their website. I believe only pelleted foods are complete with hay(not sure though).I have sometimes had trouble with choking on pelleted food.I will stand by the omelene 200 as I have had great results and never any colic. Also several grand champions on my Mares we showed. There are several great quality feeds out there but this is what I had luck with.One Mare came from Jo-Co miniatures as a weanling and all their horses were on it and looked great.
I understand what you are saying, when you say complete; but Omelene isn't a "complete" feed, it would be better to call it a "fortified" grain.

A "complete" feed could totally replace hay, if needed; such as senior feeds, purina adult, horse chow, etc.

Omelene is a "fortified" grain and must be fed with hay, it does not have enough fiber in it to use it as a hay replacement; a forage (hay, pasture, hay pellet/cube) must be fed with it for a complete diet.

Katie --

After I read the info from the Purina site, I did wonder if what you said above was what you meant by "complete" feed in that the horse can be fed omolene and not need any supplements. Just Omolene and hay. But, "complete feed" means all the horse needs is in the bag. You can just feed the horse only a complete feed (like Purina Equine Senior, Purina Equine Adult, or Purina Equine Junior) and no hay or anything else.

Harvey and I feed our horses complete feeds and hay, but no sweet feed. We've not used sweet feed since 2002. After we had a filly who'd been at a trainers colic, I read a lot about hays and grains and I read (could have been incorrect, but scared me) that sweet feeds are not digested in an ideal part of the horse's gut and are acidic and may contribute to ulcers.

Currently with it being winter and good hay not being plentiful in our region (tho we have a couple hundred bales), we are using the complete feed to replace part of the hay. You could not do this with Omolene (which isn't what the OP was concerned about -- but may be of benefit to others). Another thing I personally believe about complete feeds and other pelleted feeds is that they are more easily digested by the horses.

Jill

Im not looking to replace hay anyways. I may limit his hay a little come march.

Latest posts

Back