Purina Miniature Feed and pregnant mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We just started feeding 7 of our 10 horses Purina miniature feed in January-Feb of this year they are doing great on it,

but we have 5 of those are mares possibly bred and we have always feed Omelene 200 and switched to Omalene 300 the last trimester of pregnancy. We won't be at the last trimester for a few mos but what do you people do when your mares are bred

stay with the mini feed and up the amount or switch to a higher protein feed during that time and after foaling is Omalene 300 a better choice

Last edited by a moderator:
The last month or two I feed the mares Equine Jr and alfalfa hay. When the foal arrives, there is no need to make any adjustments. It can start nibbling on the mare's feed whenever it wants.

I would switch to Omelene 300 for the last trimester, then during lactation and also for the new growing foals.

I have been feeding Purina Mini Horse and Pony ration for the last year and am very pleased with it. I was feeding a mare I did not know was pregnant (bought her as "open") and she did very well, delivering a robust healthy little boy. She has been holding her weight while nursing and the little guy is a chub! Our hay is nothing special, just mixed grasses.

Is anyone familiar with neutrena mare and foal feed? If you know anything about it please let me know because we are feeding it to our mare and 2012 filly!

Nutrena priced itself out of my feeding program over a year ago and we started feeding Purina Miniature Horse and Pony to all the minis. They are all doing great with wonderful coats and no problems.

I have high feeding standards and was reluctant to change from many years using Nutrena, but every year they upped the price an dI finally baled.

Purina has a deal for breeders where if you buy a pallet of 40 bags you get 4 bags free. This works out great for us.

Nutrena priced itself out of my feeding program over a year ago and we started feeding Purina Miniature Horse and Pony to all the minis. They are all doing great with wonderful coats and no problems.

I have high feeding standards and was reluctant to change from many years using Nutrena, but every year they upped the price an dI finally baled.

Purina has a deal for breeders where if you buy a pallet of 40 bags you get 4 bags free. This works out great for us.
Hey Joanne

so you have fed through a pregnancy and nursing mares after foaling with the same great results?

Yes I started (nervously , I might add) last summer when I was feeding pregnant mares, nursing mares and newborn foals.

The hair quality and coloring is excellent, as is their weight and hoof condition. I feed it to all 56 horses every am. Extra to last trimester mares and lactating mares.

I think it helps the breeding stallion keep some weight on too.

Thank you Joanne

Your horses always look great so

that makes me feel better going into this and making that choice as to what to do

The Purina deal is good

but we only have a total of 10 horses (6 mares, 2 stallions ,gelding and 1 -4 mo old filly)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure this is what my mom feeds her minis now that I moved away from the feed store. She has an aged (17) year old mare on it. We didnt know she was preggo so she has been on it before and after. Her foal is a month old and she looks great.

Latest posts

Back