Purina has new Senior feed out...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Purina feed

This may be my ticket for my older foundered mare who can't have the regular Senior Feed because it has too much sugar starch in it, but needs the extra calories that other low sugar feeds don't seem to have.

You can also get a $10 off coupon if you take the quiz.
default_smile.png

Quiz link

Im going to try my horse who isnt quite a senior on it, its marketed as a senior feed, but honestly, It looks like a good feed for my needs with this horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone doesnt want to use this feed but feels like printing the coupons, I would love to have them and can send a stamped envelope, Im having a heck of a time finding a feed that works for D.

On the phone waiting for a rep as I type as I'm very interested in trying thise for my 21 yr old Modern Shetland mare who has been pulled down really bad by this years foal that will be weaned on the 1st of Nov. I also have a couple of older teens that need the extra fat but low starch.

My dealer is supposed to place and order in the next day or two and want to get some pretty quickly. Want this mare gaining before really bad weather gets here.

Will let you know how I like it when I can get my hands on it. If you don't want your coupon (its only one) and would like to share I'll be glad to take them, just send me a PM.

Thank you for sharing this, Linda.

We personally like using a Senior feed as a primary feed. However, we have three mares who we caught at the early stages of founder and can't grain them, so this interests me, should they ever need to gain weight.

I took the quiz for a coupon ( and printed it) but I see it is only good in the US. If anyone wants it , I will mail it to them . If anyone is interested let me know ......Ann

I just wanted to see if you guys had tried this feed? I switched all of my horses to this feed, so they have been on it for about 3 months or so. I had to clip them for an expo (I despise clipping this early) but WOW am I impressed with this feed. My horses have had nothing done with them since august. They get fed grain in the am, go outside for the day, and come in at night for grain and stay in overnight. Through winter I fed free choice second cut grass hay. More "filler" than nutrition honestly. Cant free feed the alfalfa. They were wormed every 8 weeks, and had their feet done every 6, and thats it.

Now, Im not kidding, I clipped these horses, and could have shown them that day. They are more fit than when I am actually working them. Partially thanks to the colt I had them turned out with, but a lot of thanks to this feed. My silver dapple "lost" his dapples several years ago. He clipped out with huge dapples, and a coat so shiny it looked like glass. Remember, no bath since august, not even before clipping (I dont bath before the first clip, its never made a difference to me, if anything, it makes it worse for me).

Lots of bloom, great coats, the horse I expected to be fat isnt, and my hard keeper isnt thin. Not nutty like they were on ultium, and their necks arent thick like they have been on strategy. Im sold on this stuff. They can call it what they want, its honestly a feed I would give to any horse in my barn, regardless of age. Price is right too, $18 a bag. Strategy is $16.99 here, ultium is $23...

To be honest, I would have to weigh it for sure. I always start at the bags recommended amount by weight, then I adjust from there. Its just under 1 quart by volume, per horse, twice a day. Im feeding it to a 34" hard keeper gelding, and a 36" gelding who was a stallion until about three weeks ago. I havent weighed their feed since I switched the amount a little. I bumped one horse up, one back a bit. By volume, im feeding less than I was of ultium, mini and pony feed, strategy, equine adult...

Yep, I started this thread when I found this feed and have been using it ever since. I LOVE this feed! It puts an amazing SHEEN on the horses and they are fit without much work (so far). I am feeding most horses 4 c. AM/PM (some less and a few more) along with their alfalfa cube/beet pulp mash and a handful of hay. I feed it to ALL my horses, not just the senior horses. LOVE it!!

Just because I'm a computer 'jerk' -- if you haven't printed your coupon yet, you can click on 'print coupon' twice and it will print out 2 coupons.
wacko.gif

No flaming please -- for so many, every dollar saved is critical to survival!
default_torch.gif
You're freakin' hilarious, I love it!!!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for bumping this back up. I'm going to compare it to the Omolene 300 my hard keeper is getting now. I'd love for her to not have so much sugar but she needs calories, calories, calories. Of course, that's hoping she'll actually eat it.

Sounds like a great feed! I'm gonna have to check and see if my feed store carries it! What do they call it besides Sr. Feed because when I ask for that at the store they give me the typical old Sr. Feed. Dont know if they carry this one.

This is a complete feed like the other Equine feeds they make?

Thanks! I do feed basicly hay, but my old man is also on the regular Senior now but this sounds like some good stuff perhaps to add to his diet. I'll check it out

I see it is higher in fat, and a lot higher in calcium, a little higher in phosphorus.

It has a good amount of lysine too, good for building muscle. Its not a complete feed, still need to feed hay, cubes, pellets, beetpulp, etc (whatever your choice of fiber is). It does take a little longer than other feeds to soak, if you soak your feed. Tractor supply stores dont carry it, and my feed dealer doesnt regularly stock it, but they order it in for me. Its defiantly worth the extra hassle of having it ordered.

My Purina dealer carries it and it costs $15.99/bag! With my 13 horses I feed this to (soon to be 14 when my "new" gelding comes home to be with the herd) I go thru aprox. 3.5 bags/week.

Oh no, you dont have to soak it at all. I know some people with senior horses soak their horses food, thats why I mentioned it. If you are a person who does soak their food, this food takes longer to soak than the regular equine senior thats all.

Latest posts

Back