Puppy??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNR

Reaction score
Ok I know this is probably my fault! Since I did carry this new pup around Nationals for like 7 days! But.................I can't even put her out to go potty with out standing there with her! I put her in the yard next to the computer room and she sits there are howles and cryes till I bring her in! She won't even go potty unless I am out there! I guess what I am asking is how do I unspoil this sweet little darling puppy??? Don't get me wrong I love having her close to me but sometimes she has to be away from me!!! Any Ideas would be great!

Thanks

RNR

You will have to begin again. Be with her when she goes potty. Say the words, "go potty or go pee", when she does tell her how good she is and give her a tiny cookie. Petco has great tiny ones $3.99/lb. You may have use a playpen/potty area also if she is tiny. Each time step away from her and repeat go potty. Repeat and repeat and go further away as the days go. Finally set her out in her potty pen and say, "go potty". Now watch her. Make sure she has a full bladder or bowel when you set her out this time. While you watch...as SOON as she goes throw open the door and reward her big time. Might take a week to 10 days but it will work.
yes.gif

Added: I get flamed sometimes but with pups I keep a piece of linoleum covered with newspaper or wee wee pads near the door cuz all pups have to pee sometimes when we are not watching or ready for them. You can also put a piece of said soiled newspaper in the potty area outside, she'll catch on.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will only get away with what you allow them too!
biggrin.gif

I know easier said than done but if not she will win and as they get older it is harder to unspoil.

I adore my dogs and take very good care of them but I call the shots! They are all, 4 of them, a joy to live with
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Good Luck!
biggrin.gif

I totally understand.. Nationals isnt the place to let a pup down to be a pup so you kinda have to hold them way more then you normally would.

Our pup is the same way but getting better- although he does cry when left alone fora bit but thankfully one of our other dogs has decided she is his mom and takes care of him

Just like with children they will learn fast what they have to do to get you to give in.

My sheltie pup had major surgery when she was only 11 weeks old and she was not allowed to walk or move around at all. Talk about a lap dog. We had to carry her and hold her all the time for 2 whole weeks to prevent her from walking. Once she was ok to move around on her own, though, I started with the training. I was real firm and she learned real fast. Just remember a puppy is a baby and you will have to spend a lot of time with her. I know I am pretty tied down now, having two puppies, probably for a few months.

A couple of months ago when my puppy Lakota was more of a puppy, she did not like to be outside alone without me...even tho my Boxer would be out in the yard she did'nt want to go out away from the front porch to poopie or pee. It took time and patience, but she got better and better with it as the days went by. I would start by letting them both out and my Boxer would always go off on her own like she normally does leaving Lakota alone sitting on the porch. I'd watch her from right at the door, hiding a little bit so she could'nt see me. She'd start to whine and cry and when she did that I'd let her until I noticed that she quiet down and s soon as I saw that behavior I'd open the door and praise her. Then to show her that she could actually go one step further and venture into the yard I'd go with her further and further, and before I knew it she was walking away from me and walking out there on her own. Takes alot of time and patience, but remember to reward immediatly the good and set them up for success everytime.

Oh guess I should also add that everytime I was with her I'd say "go pee-pee" when she peed and "go poo-poo" when she pooed. She now knows the words....so she is getting good at knowing the difference between the two and pretty much going on command when I need her too! I NEVER thought that was possible as I've heard others talk about doing it, but did'nt think it could actually work. It does...you just have to keep on her and constant repetition. Me and Lakota were joined at the hip for 3 months strait....and we still are!!! But when they are younger, it's like having a real live baby. Good luck with your new little one!

Thanks guys!! The potty part I can handle! I know it takes time and patients I just am shocked at how SPOILED she is! It did not show up till yesterday and it is getting worst I guess I am just going to have to start leaving her for a few min at a time till she quits SCREEMING for me! I love this puppy so much and hate to see her upset! She thinks everyday is a horse show and that she should be carryed around the whole time!

Thanks again!

RNR

I think you should post a pic and tell us her name and breed.
yes.gif

LOL!

She is a MUTT!!! Her name is Miss molly! And I will try to get some pics today! If I can get away from her long enough to go get batteries for the camera!!

ours goes from being a big baby to being a beast and growling and biting at the other dogs of course he is so tiny he kinda has to so he doesnt get squished.

I have been putting him in a crate for about 20 min a time a few times each day while i go do barn stuff and it seems to quiet down or i just cant hear him i guess

Lisa! What kind of puppy is yours? I did leave her long enough today to go to Wal-mart when I got home she was currled up in my moms lap! She said she could not handle the screeming so I guess she has us all where she wants us!!

Latest posts

Back