Puppy Food need input for large puppy food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I've read recently, not food-related:

Owners should try to limit the amount of stair-climbing (up and down) and jumping with giant breed pups and young dogs. They believe that the physical stress can also contribute to dysplasia and other problems. Considering how clumsy Norah (Great Pyrenees) is at 7 mos., I'm really not surprised.

My dog vet also advises not to feed puppy feed to large breed puppies once they reach a few months of age.

Margo

This has been such a great thread. Thanks all who participated.

So.......I hope I didn't screw this up.

I decided I had to find something in Tractor Supply because its local. So I asked what I could have that is grain free. Two weeks ago 4 Health came up with a grain free dry food they just put on the shelves and they said it was exactly the same as Blue Buffalo except it's their company food. There are three kinds but none of them were made for puppies so I bought one bag anyhow so I got the chicken and rice. (Adult food). And they gave me a free sample of their Lamb and potato. I forgot what was in the third flavor. She's not fussing at all and is eating it just fine. I also found a couple of fleas.......(sigh) because I low dosed her on her flea meds by accident. Now since she is on this new food and flea meds, the itching is still there a tiny bit and that's probably also dirt because she's a filthy barn puppy, but nothing whatsoever like it was. I think the combination of changing her food and tending the two tiny fleas is going to be the end of this. Heck I itch way more that she does. By the way my friend that works there told me IAMS was junk. oh... I didn't realize that or I never would have started it. . Now I feel so dumb but little Miss Mackenzie is as happy go lucky as can be..

Peace & Love

Glad you found something that would work for Mackenzie.

Don't feel bad about the IAMS, at one time it was considered a pretty good dog food (like years ago, when it first came out), but since then, new and improved dog foods have come out (now that we know more about what dogs need to thrive, better things have been marketed). [i wouldn't have had a clue about IAMS if it weren't for a friend in college, she worked for a breeder. I don't recall the whole speel now, but the end result was... IAMS is crap.]

New puppy pics, please.

Ditto, photos please. I hope you found the answer in some new dog food. I am working on finding a good food for my new puppy and I even though she is a small breed I am thinking of going adult dog food. just too much extra protein in puppy food I do think and the protein is so high and that can cause problems. My pup has had some UTI problems and crystals and I think the puppy food just makes it worse for clearing up.

My vet recently started my guys on Sentinel heart worm meds. It controls heartworm, fleas, hookworms and round worms and whip worms. I use it on summer months in addition to Frontline plus, it really helps with the farm puppy that is everywhere and eats everything to keep them clean and healthy. I switch to the regular heartgard in the winter and back on sentinel in the summer. It is rather inexpensive and has a 10$ rebate right now.

I love GSD's dog, please share more adventures of your puppy. My GSD was a rescue and he broke my heart when he left so I admit to watching and watching for more stories of your puppy to enjoy.

Don't feel bad about feeding Iams. It's hard when some companies have LOTS of money to spend on marketing!!
default_wink.png

I have heard of 4Health, and people saying it is pretty decent. I can't get it up here, so don't know anything about it.

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back