Pumpkin crazy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
HELP! We planted pumpkin this year, our first time, and some rotted, some were fine. After the grandkids got done with them at halloween, I waited for the rest to ripen. Well I got two good sized ones. I cleaned them out, made roasted seeds, and pureed the roasted pulp. I've been making pumpkin bread for days. Been switching it out with chocalote chips in some and walnuts in some, I currently have five loaves I made today. I still have about five cups of pulp left in the fridge and I'm tired of pumpkin bread.

What else can I make with it or add to it? Any good recipes out there, I'd hate to see it go to waste, and yes, I know I can freeze the bread, but I'm so bored with the bread, maybe a muffin recipe or something that contains other ingrediates.

I don't have any recipes that use fresh pumpkin, but maybe you could do a spiced pumpkin roll, or cookies? Of course theres also pumpkin pie too.
default_smile.png

Thanks for all the responses, I already have pumpkin butter, and I already made a pie, but hubby and I are the only ones that will eat it, so I don't want to make another. The link provided with the sausage sounds good think I'll give it a try.

You could also make it for friends and family as Christmas gifts? You could Give them a jar of pumpkin butter or bread or something =)

I am going to try to modify a waffle recipe and make hopefully Pumpkin waffles. I thought they would be really good with the sweet white sauce we already use for waffles. So, if they come out of the waffle iron we are all good.

Here's one I made this week, and we really enjoyed it!

Ingredients:

• 8oz dried Northern white beans that are soaked over-night, then boiled until soft and pureed (OR just a can of white beans, rinsed and pureed)
  • 1 can of pumpkin (or the eequivalentamount of grown pumpkin)
  • 1-2 onions, diced
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 8 stalks of celery
  • 16oz chicken broth
  • 1 can of evaporated milk
  • Seasoning (ccinnamon garlic powder, salt -- to taste)

What to do:

1. Puree the prepared / cooked/ drained (rinsed) beans
  2. Cook and puree the celery (microwave them in some water, then drain)
  3. Lightly sauté the onions (not to the point of browning) in the butter
  4. Place all of the above + Pumpkin + Seasoning into your pot
  5. Add chicken stock
  6. Mix well and heat (you can even do this in the crock pot)
  7. Add in the evaporated milk and let that also heat prior to serving

Really, really good and pretty healthy, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can put it on ziploc bags and freeze for future use, I do that every year. I also eat it like I would butternut squash, it is so yummy.

I would try to freeze it in muffin pans, then you can have small servings of 1/2 cup. You could add it to soups for thickening, or even spaghtetti. Pop them out of the tin when the pumpkin is frozen and store them in a freezer bag. It's nice having those small servings ready to go. You could even make more pumpkin bread later!

I'm still using my frozen squash from last summer.

Latest posts

Back