Puffy eyes and nose?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
I just went to feed tonight and noticed Scampy has puffy eyelids and a puffy nice and sems very lethargic. he is eating his hay (albeit slowly) and is drinking water for now. He was let out for a couple of hours on a pasture that has some weeds but nothing noxious (I don't think??)- I am in California. His throat is not swollen. Does this sound like an allergic reaction?If his head was hanging and he was off his food and water, I would call the vet asap. I am on a remote ranch so am hoping this is just an allergic reaction or bee sting. Note- he has pooped...regular stools but last two were runny. Anyone else have this happen?

I am in Iowa but I have had something similar happen to one of our mares. Her muzzle and eyes got so swollen it made her head round looking. We talked to a couple of vets about it and they think it was something in the hay because we had just put out a new bale. I have also heard that Foxtail grasses can sometime cause them to swell up because it gets sharp or something and makes very small but unnoticable cuts in their skin that get infected. That is all I can think of that would do it though. We just took her out of pasture and in a stall until we put out a new bale and I know we gave her something but I cant remember what it was but it was just a normal type thing for allergic reactions. Hope this helps and good luck.

Sorry, I can't think of anything, but I wanted to respond as you must be frantic!

I would likely take temperature and check the web for what would be safe to give as an antihistamine.

I think it might be something from the pasture- he was in a different one today. Maybe it was some sort of nasty weed?I do have some Dex powder on hand. I heard Benadryl was good too but not sure if thats ok for mini's?

I am in Iowa but I have had something similar happen to one of our mares. Her muzzle and eyes got so swollen it made her head round looking. We talked to a couple of vets about it and they think it was something in the hay because we had just put out a new bale. I have also heard that Foxtail grasses can sometime cause them to swell up because it gets sharp or something and makes very small but unnoticable cuts in their skin that get infected. That is all I can think of that would do it though. We just took her out of pasture and in a stall until we put out a new bale and I know we gave her something but I cant remember what it was but it was just a normal type thing for allergic reactions. Hope this helps and good luck.

The same thing happened to my yearling stallion this summer after two of the shows. He was fine at the shows, and the morning after we got home he looked like he'd gone on a bender and probably looked worse than the other guy! We gave him dexamethasone, and he was back to normal within hours. Still don't know what caused it, maybe the show grease? But he didn't do it after all the shows, just two of them. wierd, but it worked.
default_wub.png

Found my dex powder!- how much did you give your mini?I have a small sachet of it but it should help until the vet comes - can only come tomorrow seeing as not a dire emergency! Lucky I have some first aid supplies..I already gave him some Banamine. The vet said to give the Banamine but I did not know I had the Dex until just now. I do know in regular horses, it is ok to give both Dex and Banamine. I hope this goes down!I do have a tampon tube at the ready for his nose in case it swells up entirely. Wonder if that counts as a dire emergency??!!

The same thing happened to my yearling stallion this summer after two of the shows. He was fine at the shows, and the morning after we got home he looked like he'd gone on a bender and probably looked worse than the other guy! We gave him dexamethasone, and he was back to normal within hours. Still don't know what caused it, maybe the show grease? But he didn't do it after all the shows, just two of them. wierd, but it worked.
default_wub.png

edit to note: EMPTY tampon tube!Love the Search option on this forum. I was wondering what kind of tube to use if his nostrils closed over really fast.

Update! Well..after the banamine worked a while..Scampy started to eat some of the sweetfeed I have with the dex powder in it. The swelling has gone down some around his eyes and he seems perkier. His muzzle has gone down a little too so the dex will help further. I will have to keep a close eye on him thru the night but hopefully he will be much better by morning and it will be easier to have the vet out during the day if I need to. I think he may have been stung by a bee or wasp while grazing today. I would not have thought his eyes would have swelled up too. That or he ate a bad weed and hate a reaction to it. Gosh..I worry about my little ones!The big ones too!

glad to hear he's doing better--it does for sure sound like an allergic reaction to something; I'd be inclined to think it was some weed in the pasture. A bee sting usually has very localized swelling, and if he got stung on the nose, his nose would really swell before his eyes would puff up too. It wouldn't even have to be a weed that he ate--if he was grazing and his face came in contact with some weed, that could sure do it too (speaking from personal experience, I have allergy problems and have had my eyes puff up from contact/inhaling pollen. The dex should help him a lot more.

I know people do give benadryl to their minis, but offhand I could not say what the dosage is. I've figured up dosage for a cat, but not for a Mini.

When Boss had hives our vet had us dissolve benedryl tabs in water in a syringe and give it to him orally. She had us give a regular adult human dosage as he is tiny (26" and less than 150 lbs.)

Hope your little guy is better this AM.

we gave 1 cc of the liquid dex once a day, and at the start his eyes were swollen almost shut! scary stuff.

Allergic reaction, i always have the vet out and he will give them an injection (i cannot remember the name), but it will take care of it, i believe out vet gives two shots of something, to bad i cannot remember exactly what they are called. One of my horses use to be real bad about this, we think he was just super sensitive to things...pine shavings ext, things like that.

Thank you! This morning..even better!!
default_aktion033.gif
The dex must have really helped over night but it was the banamine that helped him feel good enough to actually eat the sweetfeed with the dex in it. I feel so lucky!Disaster averted!It takes 2 hours at least for a vet to come and late on a sunday before the holidays...it would not be easy but if it had not gone down..I would have made them come out. I am going to stock up on some more dex and banamine for sure. Benadryl would be good too..in a pinch.

I think it was weeds..you are right- his eyes would not be so swollen probably.

glad to hear he's doing better--it does for sure sound like an allergic reaction to something; I'd be inclined to think it was some weed in the pasture. A bee sting usually has very localized swelling, and if he got stung on the nose, his nose would really swell before his eyes would puff up too. It wouldn't even have to be a weed that he ate--if he was grazing and his face came in contact with some weed, that could sure do it too (speaking from personal experience, I have allergy problems and have had my eyes puff up from contact/inhaling pollen. The dex should help him a lot more.
I know people do give benadryl to their minis, but offhand I could not say what the dosage is. I've figured up dosage for a cat, but not for a Mini.

Thank you for you kind thoughts. It was scary!!He got swollen so fast..I was so worried about his breathing. Honestly, thank Heavens for this forum and google!! That is a good idea to dissolve the tabs in water and use a syringe and give it orally. I did not have liquid benadryl. I heard it was better to give the Children's B.dryl? Anyway..he is back to normal today!Won't be letting him graze near that weedy hill again.

When Boss had hives our vet had us dissolve benedryl tabs in water in a syringe and give it to him orally. She had us give a regular adult human dosage as he is tiny (26" and less than 150 lbs.)
Hope your little guy is better this AM.

I wish I had the injection on hand!The powder worked well though..once he ate it, of course. I also wish the vet was closer but...being prepared is so important out here (or anywhere for that matter!). I just did not want the vet to drive all the way out and it had gone down already. Of course, it is a risk and a fine line. If he was becoming worse..I would have the vet out in a flash but he was eating and drinking ok and had no temp. and was not laboring at all or in distress but..as we all know, that can change in a New York minute..just such a puffy face, eyes and nose!Must have been the weeds. Am so happy he is ok this morning!

Allergic reaction, i always have the vet out and he will give them an injection (i cannot remember the name), but it will take care of it, i believe out vet gives two shots of something, to bad i cannot remember exactly what they are called. One of my horses use to be real bad about this, we think he was just super sensitive to things...pine shavings ext, things like that.

Latest posts

Back