Proud Flesh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used meat tenderizer then wrapped leg with foam rubber and vet wrap. We changed wrap every other day and the foam would pull off the proud flesh gradually but eventually a huge leg returned to normal. Each time we changed the dressing we also sprayed with water for several minutes.

I don't remember how long the Schreiner's took to work. It would probably depend on the severity of the problem. I would certainly get your vet's help with this. I've also used Granulex with good success.

I don't remember how long the Schreiner's took to work. It would probably depend on the severity of the problem. I would certainly get your vet's help with this. I've also used Granulex with good success.
I don't know specifically for proud flesh, but Schreiners does take time to work. My saddle gelding tried to cut his hoof off again this fall, and I sprayed it every day with Schreiners, it was nearly healed in 6 weeks. [Last time, he tried to cut his hoof off, I didn't have Schreiners on hand, so used what I had, and there was practically no healing in the same 6 week period. Ordered some Schreiners and it started showing improvement almost immediately.]

When my mini mares staples were removed last year from a cut on her foreleg, there was a small amount of proud flesh, my vet recommended white vinegar and it worked really well! I did bandage it a day or two with vinegar, but after that just cleaned it and then rinsed/saturated it with vinegar once a day.

Latest posts

Back