Proud flesh wound

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
My mini got her leg caught in a fence. The vet came out and she didnt need stiches. She made me wrap it and put an iodine mix on it. Now it is turned into a proud flesh wound. What should I put on it??I have been putiing wonder dust for the last few days, but difficult to apply. I found this stuff online

called Equaide. ANy thoughts? And should I wrap it?? The vet is going to come out on Mon. Any thoughts??????

sorry no help
default_sad.png

I've only ever used wonder dust

to prevent proud flesh

Hope your mare is doing better quickly

Can you scrub on it to scrape some off? It's hard to know without being there... maybe call the vet out just in case...

I think wounds should be left open, if possible, and hydroed frequently to keep scar tissue from forming. But now that you have the problem, that equaide product might be worth a try.

But is it too late to hydro it and try to slough off the dead tissue?

Did you purchase the stuff by equaide? I used it on a foal with a fetlock injury that became proud flesh from rubbing it and it worked awesome. By all means, get it. It is easy to use and worked wonders.

I noticed Jeffers didnt have it, and I had to order several other wound care stuff. So I tried Nolvasan. It was recommended to me. Has anyone tried that? I am wondering if I shoudl still order Equaide.

There is an herbal product called "Schreiners Herbal Spray" and if used immediately is a "wonder product" .

We used it on an horrific wound and it healed beautifully. There was a picture of a horse in the store who had been attacked by a bear and the before and after pictures were amazing.

Reble on the forum put us on to this product which she swears by too.

We used Schreiner's herbal solution on a mare that cut her leg and it healed awesome. It is a liquid and you just spray it on the wound, the dircetions say to use on open wounds, proud flesh, saddle soars, fungus or other skin disorders. Their website is www.schreiners.com

I'm a firm beleiver in the natural healing powers of honey. Unpastureized of course. Works like a top, gets rid of proud flesh in a matter of hours/1 day and heals the wound.

I bought my favorite mare a few years ago and within a month after I got her, she litterally tore a chunk about the size of a silver dollar out of the side of her face, down close to her mouth (never could figure out what she tore it on). I took her to the vet and he could not sew it up, but just cut off the hanging flesh. He told me one of the worst things was dew poisoning and to keep her off pasture until the dew was gone. He gave (sold) me a spray can of "Granulex V" by Pfizer and told me to saturate the wound twice a day and then apply Scarlet Oil on top of that.

The Granulex would disolve the scab and boil away the crud every day. The Scarlet Oil would then keep it from drying out. I was so afraid she would be disfigured for life, but within a month, all she had was a small spot the size of a pencil eraser. Now, you have to know she was injured and look closely to ever tell it. (I have graphic pictures of her wound, but it makes me shudder to look at them.)

I cannot brag on this product enough. It costs $25-$35 per 4 ounce can, but worth every penny. I will ALWAYS keep it on hand.

Wrapping is good for controlling proud flesh. If the proud flesh is extending out past the skin edges, then it needs to be trimmed by your vet, because the skin will not be able to contract and begin to close the wound.

I've seen a pic and the proud flesh on the wound is now pretty big- and had already started before switching to the Wonder Dust unfortunately. It is nothing that can be 'scraped off' due to the size.

Our vet had to come out and cut it off (a leg injury on a big horse in a similar place to this one) and then gave me some acid type stuff to keep the scar tissue off. That was used for a few days and then the Dust. It healed with really no scar after that.

From my understanding, Nolvasan and products like that do not remove proud flesh that already has a good start and is growing- it looks like a big pink sponge now. I am not familiar with that other stuff that was mentioned. I can only recommend that it get immediate attention as time is only going to make it worse and it is having trouble healing.

I was told never to use iodine or peroxide on wounds- too harsh, promotes scar tissue and damages the skin tissue. I have always used Wonder Dust- and it makes a GREAT ointment when mixed as heavily as possible in a bit of Vaseline to make a paste that will stick to drier wounds.

Regular powdered lime works great for proud flesh. Then I cover with the Alumia Shield. The Sugardine (iodine and confectionary sugar) also works great for puncture wounds and drawing out abscesses.

Is there a picture of this horse's injury as it looks today?

If the proudflesh has already developed I think that it would have to be removed surgically and then treatment with the remedies people have talked about, such as Schrieners.

I am not sure about this, but I know that when we had our issue we had to scrape the scabs off and wash the wound with an iodine soap wash, roughing the area up and then spraying the open wound with the Schrieners. The idea was NOT to get the proudflesh growing.

We did the wash and scraping and spraying three times daily. It heals from the outside of wound to the inside and you can see the wound closing up over a long period of time.

If you already have proudflesh there then I think it has to be removed, if that is surgically possible.

I guess the vet or the experts on this forum would be a better source of info for this problem.

Latest posts

Back