Proposed "Nat'l Animal Id System

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginia

Reaction score
My husband takes a small publication called Countryside and Small Stock Journal. In the Jan/Feb '06 issue that just arrived, there is a 4-pg article, written by Mary Zanoni, Ph.D (Cornell) describing the possible (probable) upcoming legislation that will enable the United States Department of Agriculture to enforce an Animal Identification System that will involve ALL livestock, from elephants down to pigeons (yes, horses too). The article states that it will probably involve a microchip containing a Radio Frequency Identification Device designed to be read from a distance (think Global Positioning System). Animal owners would be required to report: birthdate of each animal, application of every animal's ID tag, each time an animal leaves or enters the property, each tag lost, each tag replaced, slaughter/death of each animal, or if any animal is missing. Such events to be reported within 24 hours. Enforcement is planned but not yet specified, however presumably (according to the article), it would include fines and/or seizure of animals. There is MUCH MORE spelled out in the article that I won't go into here, however "The Plan and Standards" as they call it, can be downloaded from www.usda.gov/nais

I urge (beg) you to inform yourself, contact breed organizations. Directors thereof, your State's Horse Council, the National Horse Council, any of your neighbors/friends that are involved with other livestock, come on people, lets MOVE here, if we don't fight it, it WILL happen. Action is planned by the USDA for 2006. (In case you haven't noticed, that starts next week!!!!!

It has already happened. WI has had this in effect since this last fall. I see it more as being a diesease control. My opinion is that it isnt much different then the USDA.

Disease control is right! Have no fear, once your animal's are tagged the USDA will not hesitate to confiscate every animal on your farm and destroy them needlessly if THEY think there is a problem in your area.

This is BIG BROTHER and he needs to be shot right now.

Latest posts

Back