And still MORE on NAIS I found today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit frustrating to hear people say that NAIS isn't that bad. The first proposal I saw - I actually though it was a joke it was so bad.

I don't see any of these changes as cover ups, just as changes. As people in the horse industry have fought, the program has been changed - and sometimes changed back again.

NAIS has been voluntary, mandatory, and in the middle.

We are going to get this program, like it or not, so we need to be upset about the things we do not agree with. If people in the horse industry had not spoken up and loudly the outcome of yes trailrides, no eartags could have been different.

The point is the program is still responding to pressure from the horse industry. This is our chance. In two years things will be set in stone, and if we've overlooked something that is going to hurt us or our horses we're going to be stuck with it. We have to worry about it now, because we're not going to get a second chance if we say nothing.

Please keep reading updates and check back every few months as the program keeps changing.

If all current policies will remain the same - Good Lord. Imagine all the numbers it takes to get you into a show - a registration number, state number (The NM DOT does not accept registration papers as proof of ownership), health number, coggins test number, microchip number and NAIS number...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini1 My reasoning is based on facts. If you have not read their original web site, then one would not understand and discredit other people that have. But there are many of us out there that have read in all the detail what they originally wanted. Am sure there are a few that have the original documents still.

I too thought it was a joke when I first read it.

They have revised things which is good...even to the point of changing the color of their web site.

So it looks like they have listened.

However knowing what they have originally written.. still do not trust them to do what is right by livestock and horse owners. Is nice we have had so many keep on them, to change the rules to something more reasonable..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when the first case of BSE was discovered in Canada I was president of our state beef producer association. Even though we are as far east as you can get in the US it was not a good time.

The major part of the rational to the entire animal ID program was to trace back major animal disease outbreaks. Whether you agree or not the issue remains finding the source of the outbreak. Right at our next meeting after the Canada case we had members sitting at the table in our state dept of ag. building stating "they never bought any cattle from Canada". When in fact they had several in thier herds that came from Alberta where the first case was found. They had registered cattle and the registration papers clearly state the seller and address. They truly had nothing to fear by having cattle that had come from Canada but they were going to lie about it just the same.

The reason to implement some type of ID system was many owners had/have no intentions of being truthful about thier animals source or destination. With the outbreak of FMD in England some of that spread because some producers that had early cases hid the fact and sold animals on the open market before inspectors put them in quarentine. Those few infected animals in turn mixed with others and infected them. The result was even more farms were infected when those animals were brought in.

The equine industry has been very vocal about the entire ID program froom the start.

There are 2 major reasons:

1) many horse owners feel it is no ones business where thier horse came from, where it has been, or where it ended up.

2) So far there has not been any large scale equine disease outbreaks that compare to FMD or BSE. YET! BSE is a very new disease that 20 years ago had not been heard of.

Who's to say a new equine disease from a 3rd world country will not enter US 2, 3, 5 years from now. I hope something like that never does happen but if it did how would it be traced and stopped?

I have no idea what the final plan will be or when they ever get a final plan but the US is not the only country working on this in some form or another.

Mark

WNV arrived and with out undo fuss or loosing our rights as animals owners... we now have vaccines for it.

Most people I know..when they transport for shows or sale... like me. We get the current required paper work, so the Vet,, who tells the state and the Brand inspector who also tells the state.. knows where, when and so on,,,the horses are going.

This is without the NAIS.

And NAIS is not going to be able to make dishonest people be honest...no program could.

Shug.....

Here is the pdf file directly from the USDA's site. It clearly outlines the conditions and how to market this to the equine industry.

So far they are pushing this into 2010 as I said before. But there are 4 states that are arlead enforcing the premises registration. Illinois is one of them. If you want to attend any horse shows there, you will have to be registered.

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/naisli...gust_1_2006.pdf

I see how they are marketing this and the non-equine industry is a direct link to our food chain, but they are lumping all livestock into this. I can see a fall out of all the negatives of this, and I can see the benefits for tracking species that are directly in our food chain. But equine are not in our food chain, so I don't know why we are being lumped into this.

I do see they acknowledge that the reason is to eradicate disease within 48 ours and that does mean they can come onto our properties and destroy our animals and/or take them for studies of potential outbreaks.

So if we are forced to do this, how do we protect ourselves from "Are generally more valuable on an individual basis' if they choose to come and destroy our herds?

They do recognize that horses on an individual basis is generally more valuable - the only thing I can think of is herd or individual horse insurace - can you imagine what it is going to cost to insure a herd?

Anyways....read for yourself!

I have already read of people have chips in them in some country's just to work, why not us next?
Are you serious? People have to have microchips?! Is anyone thinking mark of the beast from the book of Revelations? I recently saw a movie where the mark of the beast was a microchip that people had to have to buy or sell. This is just wrong. I know this is probably not it yet but it is scary to think that we live in a world where this is really becoming possible.

I have already read of people have chips in them in some country's just to work, why not us next?
Are you serious? People have to have microchips?! Is anyone thinking mark of the beast from the book of Revelations? I recently saw a movie where the mark of the beast was a microchip that people had to have to buy or sell. This is just wrong. I know this is probably not it yet but it is scary to think that we live in a world where this is really becoming possible.
Hey, yeah sadly, thats what I thought too. I read something about in a few countries overseas they are already microchipping people, they are wanting to start here in the US on alzheimers patients, and small children, I THINK(Not sure) that someone has started it in FL already.

That is really why I don't believe in the whole microchip thing, esp. if it becomes mandatory, you know they test everything on animals first!
default_no.gif

Folks you do have a voice - its called your federal state reps and congressman and your state representatives and congressmen. Let them know what you think of this, you can google your state's information and let them know you are against this program.

Look, if someone a mile down the road from me had an outbreak of something in their herd, this does read they can come and test and slaughter my animals! And I have no recourse - I have no way to recoup my investment.

I have hand written many letters...most sadly do not get a response and the ones I have had...are form letters.

That is what scares me. Is ok..if someone doesn't like their animals... but it scares me to death because I love my animals.. they are part of my family. If something happened to Maggie....... lets just say you would hear my response on national TV.

I just thought that I would let everyone know what has happened to a friend of mine. They say that this program is voluntary, but they've just registered my friends farm with out asking. She was given a certificate with an ID number and a letter thanking her for registering. She never registered and never wanted to register. Looks like this NAIS deal won't be as voluntary as we think.

If you still think it is voluntary, read the article I posted this morning.
Spot on! Even if it was voluntary, history clearly indicates that it would not remain so. The reasoning (and only for "public" consumption) also falls apart under close scutiny. This is why the reason "du jur" has to continually change imo.

Bb

They do recognize that horses on an individual basis is generally more valuable - the only thing I can think of is herd or individual horse insurace - can you imagine what it is going to cost to insure a herd?
Actually, current insurance is wriiten to specifically exclude "acts of government", meaning current insurance policies would not cover a loss due to NAIS activity.

Back