Professional Photographer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little House Photography http://www.littlehousephotography.net/

You can see some of her miniature horse work on my web site and other web sites....Redrock, Ash Creek, Cross Winds. She photographs some AMHA shows in this area including the Central Region Championship show. Her backdrop pictures from Central are in the World mag. She does travel (thank goodness)

Charlotte

How does one go about getting a photo shoot done??

I've got at least 3 miniature that I'd like professional pictures of! But no one wants to come to Canada
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the cost for having them come out to your farm? I looked at their site, and there wasn't much detail. Also, do they handle grooming if you asked them to?

If I were going to spend the money on a professional shoot, I would want professional grooming too!
default_wink.png

Little House Photography http://www.littlehousephotography.net/You can see some of her miniature horse work on my web site and other web sites....Redrock, Ash Creek, Cross Winds. She photographs some AMHA shows in this area including the Central Region Championship show. Her backdrop pictures from Central are in the World mag. She does travel (thank goodness)

Charlotte
When is she coming your way, Charlotte?

Peggy

I'm excited that this year I'm having Jerry Sparagowski from Oklahoma City do our photo shoot in June. He came highly recommended. He has a reputation for being very professional and creative and is extremely well known in the industry. Jerry has photographed miniatures as well as been the photographer at many of the top Arabian shows. He teaches photography and has photos exhibited and for sale in galleries. If anyone is interested in pricing, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Contact the photographer and see if they will be ANYWHERE in your area ~ if they are coming to a farm near you ask whom you are to contact to see if you can be included on the shoot list ~ If there is not anyone arranging a shoot in your area, ask the costs involved to hold a shoot ~ ask other farms in the area if they would be interested to come and be a part of it.

Some photographers go out of the country all the time, you just have to contact them and see time frame ~ cost ~ what is involved.. But to get that ONCE in a Lifetime Shoot ~ Photo .. it just might be worth contacting them..
default_wink.png

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

What is the cost for having them come out to your farm? I looked at their site, and there wasn't much detail. Also, do they handle grooming if you asked them to?
If I were going to spend the money on a professional shoot, I would want professional grooming too!
You need to contact the photographer of your choice and ask what their charges are. Some charge to come to your farm, plus so much per horse. Others charge a per horse fee with a guaranteed number of horses to shoot.

And no photographers that I know of do grooming too.
default_smile.png
That's up to the client to have their horses groomed for photographing.
default_saludando.gif

I did one along with some other farms last year with Jodie French who does a beautiful job

Then I had feature done by Photography by Sally. sally photography

Kay

Most photographers will travel but you need to contact each individually as they have different arangements and prices.

The way to have a shoot at your farm is to gather a group of other's wanting pictures and arrange to have as many horses as possible for the photographer....then everyone splits the travel cost so it makes it reasonable. I can tell you, having pro pictures makes a big difference in marketing your horses or foals. Just like they say about advertising 'It doesn't cost, it pays!'.

What I like about Liz of Little House is her creative use of lighting and colors.

11-08RegalHeir.jpg

A 28" senior stallion

7-08Keota2.jpg

A senior mare

I don't know of any photographers who groom.
default_smile.png

Charlotte

hmm i think my post got edited>? is it against the rules to post that there is a photo shoot coming up?? we are doing it through the buckeye miniature horse club so i wasnt aware that was against the rules?

I think the key to remember is to find a REPUTABLE and EXPERIENCED Equine Photographer...there are not many out there, especially for miniatures. There are alot of amateurs that call themselves professionals because they went out and bought a fancy camera, and now want to make a quick buck. When you start taking money from people for your work, it brings you to a whole new level and expectation...and rightfully so. Photography is complex, especially when dealing with animals. I got burned one time by one of these "so called professional mini photographers"...never again! This so called professional gave me horrific results...I later found out that when she was breeding horses she wouldn't even take registration or sales photos of her own horses, she'd have a friend come do it because she didn't like the photos she took...went out, bought a camera, and self proclaimed herself a professional...put a copyright mark on the pictures and boom..."I'm a Professional!". And people fall for it, sad but true...I did! I'm embarrased to admit that, but I did.

Professional photos are not cheap...but you usually get what you pay for. Most true professional photographers require a set amount of horses to come to your farm...or charge a flat daily fee, whichever is more..., say 25 horses, or $1000.00 per day. Remember, this is how they make their living, and when they are in high demand, money talks! Be prepared to spend $200.00 plus per animal for the session itself, plus the purchase of your photos on top of that...maybe $60 or $75. per print. It adds up very quickly.

You must be prepared...horses groomed and ready, you have a short time frame to shoot due to several conditions when that photographer arrives...you must have adequate help and be prepared! I agree with the others...it's best to get several farms together and try to split expenses, and get enough horses to be able to have the photographer come. There may be farms in your area that breed other breeds of horses that do photo shoots with pro photographers, and may allow you to come to their farm as part of their shoot...it never hurts to ask.

Just be very selective when choosing a photographer..."A bad photo can be worse than having no photo at all"!

How does one go about getting a photo shoot done??
I've got at least 3 miniature that I'd like professional pictures of! But no one wants to come to Canada
default_unsure.png
We've also had some pictures taken by Jodi French and she's in Minnesota. Not sure where you live in Ontario but she might be a good one to contact.

There are several to choose from but I have personal experience with Shannon from Snapped By Shannon and I thought she was amazing! Her mom Heather helped with the horses and between the two of them I thought they captured some awesome photos of two of my horses. I wouldn't hesitate to have her do more of my horses.

We have used Jodie French for the last few years and I cant say enough good things about her. She does a great job, and checks to be sure she caught some good photos before going on to the next horse. She gives you plenty of proofs to choose from and was very reasonable. Also another good thing, when we recieved our photos we had purchased from her she also gave us a written note that we could have other copies made of those photos wherever we wanted, we could copy them t walgreens, walmart, etc. once you had purchased the original.

Her technique is very good and she captures the true spirit of the horse in the way that I prefer, so I would highly recommend her. Its hard to find a better deal and the quality is great!

There are several photos on our website that she has taken. She may even be at a show near you, call her and find out her schedule or another suggestion is to get a group of people together at one location to do the photo shoot and split the cost! This has worked out well for us. Laura

I agree Laura, Jodie is great, and I'm not saying that just cause she is a Judge Jodie now either. She gives you the type of picture you want. I like feeling and movement in my pictures. I also like that she has trained so many horses to drive that she is better able to get the shots that show movement. I'm tired of the skunk thing.

My husband does the photography for my mom's minis, but at the local shows there is a professional that we've gotten a few pictures from. My forum picture and profile picture were both taken by him. I think he does a good job, but much better with landscape photography in my opinion. I'm hoping to get him a professional camera for Christmas this year, since he just has a Coolpix to take pictures.

Here is one of the best pictures (won 1st prize at a local fair)

RSCN0679.jpg

Latest posts

Back