Probiotics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
I have been reading an awful lot about probiotics for horses. I would appreciate any and all info from those using probiotics on a regular basis. Would love to hear if you use it daily, after de-worming, after antibiotics are used, "why" you use it... Please tell all!

We use a probiotic - FastTrack with our horses that are shown. They get it daily in their feed.

I've used Probios in the past and it works well too, but do like FastTrack. There are a few prebiotic products coming on the market too, but I haven't tried those.

It is a good idea to use with de-worming, but we don't routinely. We use it for anyone that colics, is on any kind of medication, and post-foaling for mares feed and for foals.

We are Fastrack fans and distributors for 5 years we like it so much! All the newborns get a gel paste dose around 3-5 days old, the other horses get flaked daily in their feed and more if on any meds or recovering from any illness or procedure. I've tried other brands but kept coming back to Fastrack. Probiotics are especially important to use for horses receiving any antibiotics since they will kill the good gut bacteria and too, for feed utilization..get more out of your feed AND keep those tummies correctly balanced. Good stuff :aktion033:

Some of our minis are getting probiotics in their feed because they are getting a senior feed - Nutrena Senior. My big horse has been getting this feed since his second colic surgery 6 years ago, on the recommendation of my vet. I happened to discover that it is pretty low in starch (it's a comptete feed), and Nutrena assures me there is nothing in here that wouldn't be fine for younger horses. I like the results on the filly so much that I am feeding it to half the herd now.

I use DFM (Direct Fed Microbial) by HorseTech for my minis every day. I feel it is an important preventative to help balance their systems from stress. They are in training and showing environments, this is just something that can help them. They are also on a daily dewormer, so I am of the opinion that this can help overcome any negative aspects of doing that.

I am very happy with the condition of all of my minis right now. They are on a timothy hay, plus whatever concentrate they are on (most are on Allegra Cadence, one is on a combo of beet pulp and LMF TACO instead), HorseTech Glanzen 3 for coat, skin and hooves, DFM, and daily dewormer. As we get closer to the show season, I will transition the rest onto beet pulp as well, it is so important to help carry water into their systems so they do not dehydrate under stress. I also wet their hay when we are traveling...anything to get water into them.

I too use FASTRAK daily on all my horses-I have drafts, an old arab, pony and of course minis! I use the canine version on all my dogs as well and have noticed awesome results. I keep the equine and canine gel on hand for anyone sick, stressed, or receiving meds as well.

we used to feed probiotics during the show season on the recommendation of both our vet and a horse trainer we work with and our horses work hard and we show a lot during the season and they seemed do just fine and seem to be healthy and happy and I'm told the probiotics is an important component for a show horse.

Now instead of a commercial horse feed we have been feeding a supplement that includes 35 vitamins and minerals including probiotics and biotin (the same amounts that we would feed if we were adding it as an extra supplement) so it is something we feed daily. We started using it last summer, I think, and are really happy with it and it has really simplified what we do. And we are saving a LOT of money by not buying everything separately. They get 1/2 cup of the supplement, a cup of plain oats, free choice hay, a plain salt block, fresh water and that is it and they look better even now in the winter being all hairy than they ever have before. They also are at good weights finally so hopefully no more comments about my "fat horses" from everybody. I know the supplement isn't widely available because it is a small Minnesota company that created it but it is pretty comparable to other products like Buckey Grow N Win or Progressive Nutrition except I'm not sure if those products include probiotics or biotin.

Our farrier comments at every visit about how good their hooves look too and how much they have grown and he says that is the biotin in the supplement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back