Prize Ideas - Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim

Reaction score
I am in charge of prizes for one of our club shows this year, and am looking for ideas of what I can get for Grand/Reserve and Supreme awards. I've done prizes before, and it is always a tough job when you're on a limited budget.

I thought I would ask people here what everyone likes to see for prizes. Useful stuff? Trophies? Any ideas people could give would be much appreciated!

Name of horse on stall plate. put would have to be done later.... :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything but glasses coasters or photo albums... :bgrin l'm bad.

Honestly, I prefer premium money or horse supplies.

The premium money so I can buy horse supplies that I need, and the horse supplies because I always seem to need 5 of everything.

I'd agree with mydaddysjag. Money and horse supplies are an all time favorite. However, money isn't usually all that fun to give away. How about a bucket filled with horse supplies? I know a budget can make awards tough!! Sheets and coolers that say "Supreme Halter Horse" are always a favorite too.

I help work on prizes for the club I'm in and one that I did was purchase the simple polar fleece through blanket and then had them stitched with club name and class they went to. I can send pictures if you want.

The nice big neck ribbons seem to be popular in our area!!
default_yes.gif
:

At the "Fun Days" I compete in, they used those director chairs for the year end high point award. They have the the words "High-Point Champion" around the year "2006". Each year they do a different color (Yellow, Red, Blue, Green). So if you compete every year, you have whole set!

We like the directors chairs as they are easier to get in and out of then the fold-up camping chairs, and I personally use them in my house for extra chairs when company comes. I have 2 of the three colors (green and blue) think we get yellow this year...can't wait!

In the "good ole days" there was a lady who managed/put on many AMHA shows on the East Coast. She used the director chairs for the grands, etc. The Supreme ones had a watermelon design on the covers. Sounds bad but was very, very nice. Each chair had the back embroidered for the show, win, date, etc.

Then, I had a gold plate made at the trophy place for the winning horses name....and applied to the arm of mine. Still have those chairs and they are great!

Belinda probably remembers the lady -- and the shows -- she probably has lots of the chairs, too!!!
default_yes.gif
:

She was showing Call me Sir at that time.

The blankets are another nice gift.....very useful. A bucket of show sprays, shampoos, etc would be nice.

I'm with the "useful things" category.

Maybe gift certificates to one of the various mini vendors, or feed companies some will give these away for a free bag or two.

Horse treats, show necessities, etc. Its not easy to come up with useful things, or come up with good prizes.

Get the youth together, with some craft supplies etc and some nylon halters or something to decorate and let them be creative. Could be useful for a friday night of a 3 day show to get the youth to relax and have fun a bit.

Karen

I also like the idea of director chairs or blankets. If you have them embroidered, it gives your club some advertising and the receipent has something to show-off for all their hard work. Just think how many people will see the chairs/blankets at the shows!!! Try to put your prize budget to work that will help promote your club and please the winners. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

I'm of the same mind as folks who like something "useable" -- in addition to a champion ribbon, which can be displayed.

Since you're on a limitted budget, you might try approaching some various vendors who attend the horse shows and propose a gift certificate -- say, $25 or $50? It would be presented to the champion in the ring with the ribbon and the announcer would say who each certificate is gifted from........Plus, each donating vendor would be given credit and thanked in the Show Book and/or premium book. By getting several vendors to participate it won't be too much of a financial strain on them, I wouldn't think, and it's also a form of advertising for them!

It would be very little out of your club's pocket -- the cost of a page in the show booklet, and printing up a few gift certificates which can be done on the computer, using a nice stock paper. ...... and Voila!

MA

I'll be in the minority & say neck ribbons or trophies/plaques. I absolutely hate winning "useful" stuff, which more often than not isn't useful to me at all. Halters--I have all I need. Leadshanks--shows like to give out the chain end lead shanks which I never use. Blankets--too often I've seen shows award poor quality ones that aren't worth using (don't fit, don't stay in place). Buckets of supplies--generally nothing I need or want. I much prefer to win something that will look impressive on display on my wall or in my trophy cabinet! :bgrin

Come to DELMARVA MINIATURE HORSE SPRING CLASSIC in Delaware on June 9&10. For placings in all classes you have your choise of a rosette or a card worth credit at tack vendor or photographer.For Gr Ch. winners get a monogramed grooming tote.Big winners receive a monogramed halter bag.We also give trophies to all youth class winners.In addition we are giving away $1000 in CASH to exhibitors.For every horse you enter you get 1 chance in the exhibitors' lottery.Other exhibitor prizes include gift certificates to vendor, photographer, custom designed Miniature Horse Afghan, jewelry, chopped forage, and tons of other stuff.This is a USER FRIENDLY SHOW.We have found that some people like useful stuff and some like pretty stuff for the trophy case.

My favorite prize is results in Journal for the youth and amateur winners. Cheap for the show -good advertisement for show, for next year. And very good advertisement for the exibitors who have already spent a fortune getting there.

There is nothing a parent won't spend to get their kid or grandkid in the Journal and maybe they will be back next year.

I too don't like winning "useful" stuff. I have enough halters that don't fit and cheap grooming supplies to last me a long long time! I still love a good championship cooler, nice ribbons, gift certificates are great. I also like the idea mentioned of a gift certificate/credit from the photographer. That is something that I would love shows around here to do.

We have used items from our cafe press site that has our logo on it ....
default_yes.gif
:

shirts, mugs, mouse pads, costers, clocks, bags, bears, calanders ! :new_shocked:

Everyone seems to love them and they were great to promote the club at the same time.
default_wub.png
:

If your interested and have a club logo you could use my site to make and order for your club?? :bgrin

Let me know if your interested !!
default_wink.png
:

Debbie

MHCO

Really, i dont expect prizes. Just being able to go to the shows and compete is enough for me, i am pretty easy to please.

I know at the BMHC shows, i think they provide coolers to the high point winners and possibly the ones that go grand.

At the Ohio World they gave REALLY nice show halter to the youths. They were easily $150 western show halters and they gave away ALLOT of them. I think i got a whole $10 payback from that show lol, ahh well.

I think a bucket of tack or something like that is always nice. I remember reading somewhere that the high point farm at one show got a free all-paid color add in The Journal, now that i would not mind one bit!

I love to see useful stuff like money and supplies and gift certificates to tack/feed stores, but for things like High point prizes I also like to see something like a plaque or a trophy to hang. I'd LOVE to see some nice picture frames with an engravement of the date, class, and placing. The same info you would find on a plaque, but on the bottom of a nice frame I could late slip a photo of our win into. Bonus if you have a photographer at the show.

Latest posts

Back