President Obama

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I don't write much on here, I usually just read and I haven't seen any thing political on here for a long time. I'm just wondering how people view our new president? I know it's still early in the game and he's really trying to push a lot in to every day but just am curious how people now see him and his efforts?

He has only been in office what, 60 days? So he has had a couple of months to try to undo YEARS of bad decisions. That's not nearly enough time for me to lose hope.

I didn't watch him on Jay Leno but I did see the clips on the morning news.

In my opinion, a very un-Presidential choice for a sitting president to do a late night talk show, but very fitting in with his apparent Hollywood-ish aspirations (what with that red carpet style inauguration). Honestly, I couldn't be any less impressed or unsurprised.

Additonally, his remark about the Special Olympics was in very poor taste.

I truly cannot stand him, and never thought I'd feel that kind of disgust for an American President -- but unfortunately, I do.

question.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[Edited to remove broken link here.]

At least he wasn't proclaiming "Mission Accomplished"...
default_wacko.png

mininik said:
At least he wasn't proclaiming "Mission Accomplished"...
Mininik, I don't even know what that refers to or what statement you've attempted to make.

I am happy to see though that in general, there are A LOT of people with a different perspective now than in Novemember... I look forward to both the 2010 and 2012 elections.

PS If I didn't already have a farm logo I absolutely love, this image really speaks to me.

Obama-NOPE.jpg

mission-accomplished.gif

Aw, darn, the picture I wanted wouldn't link through. That's too bad, but I don't think it was necessary for most people to get the message.
default_wink.png
Un-Presidential, indeed.

I did watch President Obama on Jay Leno last night. Outside of a couple of ooops remarks, he still shows confidence, even on a late night talk show.

I also listened to all the comments on ABC this morning - I disagree with their assessment of his use of mass media. He is not Harry Truman, in a day where radio was barely available to everyone and most presidents were barely seen or heard.

As a candidate - he used technology and mass media to his advantage. He cultivated a grass roots movement and has kept the locomotive running, still.

As President he is using town meetings to hear from the American public, himself. He uses the tools available to him to communicate what he is doing in office. He uses technology to keep things in front of us.

This is not something we as the American Public are not used to. And with times being tough right now - it would be easy to take an technologically 'hip' President the wrong way.

He made amends when he realized the couple off color comments he made were said in the public eye. He is human still folks.

60 days into office-- this current administration has done a lot - I take it as 'He is just trying to keep the balls in the air, keep us moving forward, keep communication open.'

At least he apologized for the Special Olympics remark... and it is far from the only time a President has had a slip of the tongue or simply messed up his words completely. Bush was infamous for it... as in it will take time to restore chaos ...and many, many more.

I do not think it was un-Presidential to be on the Tonight Show - in any way. In this day and age, the media is everything - nothing bothers me abut a casual appearance on a live show that reaches a wide range of ages and people. Bush could have done the same thing - maybe he should have.

Was the infamous

un-Presidential? Or not?
default_unsure.png

Trying to see both sides here. He is danged if he does and danged if he doesnt. If he doesnt talk much to us people will get ticked, if he talks to much people will get ticked. If he speaks on radio more than TV, people will get ticked, tv more than radio, well, you get the picture.

Jill, Hon, you are a Republican to the core. Of course you will hate him. Doesnt matter what he does or doesnt do, To the bone republicans will not like a democrat. And ditto for to the bone democrats disliking republicans. At least Obama has been trying and to top that off, he is laying blame on himself. Something that has been missing out of the White House for way more than just 8 years. Mayhap you need to wait a bit and see what happens before you dispise him so much.

Reading this I swore I wouldn't comment but like Obama I lied. Just please all remember Democrats were in control the last 2 years of the Bush administration. No one person does it by themselves, but Obama keeps REMINDING us HE is the President. They have to get this all done before 2010 because a lot of seats are coming up for election and the Dems know they ARE going to get beat. Bad. They will be routed right out of there. Just look how angry people are because of the people Obama picked for his cabinet. How many have quit? How many more are trying to be put out? Think about it. Maybe McCain wasn't the winner and may have not been the best for the job but he certainly couldn't be as bad as what we are going through now.

When you put 9000 porks in a STIMULUS bill that are not going to stimulate the economy, that is just plain wrong. It was pushed through so fast no one even had time to read it. Then what happened. Obama laid it aside for days so he could fly to Colorado to sign it. What a joke and waste of taxpayer money.

I think he considers himself a comedian. He is not. JMO. Some people might think he is funny. I didn't watch it but I saw enough of it today. I just wish he would slow down a little. Pushing so hard is not going to get things done the right way. Just going to cost a lot of money for our children and grandchildren and even some of out great grandchildren to pay back. America will never be the same in my lifetime. I feel sad about it. Heard today will be over 10 trillion in the next few years. WOW.

Thats all I have to say. Good night. Hope you all sleep well.

Bassett - IMO even if McCain had won, roughly the same sort of stimulus package would have gone through - althought the pork/earmarks would have been referred to as something else instead to get enough votes. And it did not get rushed through as it was originally planned - it was held up to cut a lot of that original pork off - thank goodness.

Obama was right when he said that it took a long time for us to get into this mess - and it will take a long time to get out of it. Many - including me - have said this for over a year. Anyone who thinks that it is going to happen overnight is out of touch and/or unbelievably naive.

The last 2 years of Democratic control of Congress could do very little about the trillions that the country was already in the hole - and the downward spiral that the previous administration was sliding us into - with no plan to end it in sight. And apparently not much concern. But at least it gives many something convenient to point at - by way of redirection. But the buck stops at the President - whoever it may be. ALWAYS.

Maybe Bush was not a comedian either then - and should not have done "funny" monologues at those White House Press dinners. I thought he did a goodt job at such affairs and even poked fun at himself. I welcome ANY President showing us more of the real man as opposed to a carefully (or not) constructed PR image - such as the fiasco the flight-suited "Mission Accomplished" GWB landing on the aircraft carrier turned out to be. Whoever thought that stunt up was not... thinking.
default_no.gif

Nevermind

Well, this thread has been very predictable!

Following along those lines, I liked his appearance. I think it's odd that it's considered 'unpresidental'. Why? Does the President HAVE to be a stuffed suit who restricts himself to 'serious' media only? I know it may be unconventional, but I like it. He's just a different kind of President.

I missed his Special Olympics comment on the broadcast (tape delay? I dunno) but yes, it was absolutely inappropriate and I'm glad he apologized promptly.

Jill, Hon, you are a Republican to the core. Of course you will hate him. Doesnt matter what he does or doesnt do, To the bone republicans will not like a democrat.
I am, of course, a Republican and I can promise you it's not a leaning I pulled out of the air. However, NO, I am not bound to hate a president because he is a democrat. I didn't hate Clinton (not that I'm a fan). My feelings about Obama go above and beyond that he's a democrat.

Time will tell. More and more poeple WILL see. Come on 2010 & 2012.

I think it's odd that it's considered 'unpresidental'. Why? Does the President HAVE to be a stuffed suit who restricts himself to 'serious' media only?
They don't have to be stuffed suits but they also shouldn't come across as media _______'s. Which is what Obama's been all along.

They don't have to be stuffed suits but they also shouldn't come across as media _______'s. Which is what Obama's been all along.

To be fair, Jill... all through the campaign both Obama and McCain (and Clinton and Palin) were on Leno, Letterman, SNL.... did you think that was inappropriate for future Presidents and VPs? That did not make any of them mediawhores in my opinion. If McCain was now President - and had gone on the Tonight Show (as could well have happened - he liked those appearances as well and he was great!) - would you have found fault with that?

Not a chance.

Which means it has nothing to do with "being presidential" and everything to do with your disgust for Obama.

Whatever. You are entitled to your opinion.

And no one answered my question about Bush's infamous one fingered victory salute that I linked to upthread... but that's all right.
default_unsure.png

Which means it has nothing to do with "being presidential" and everything to do with your disgust for Obama.
Tag, you have honestly very little insight to the why's and what's of how I feel. If I say I feel a certain way, you can in fact take my word for it.

The fact that he went after free health care for veterans reinforced my opinion of the man. And before you try to justify it.....yeah, yeah, yeah....I know he backed off once he realized he wasn't going to get any support; but that act alone shows me that my original opinion of him was a correct one. I wish him luck getting the mess we're in straightened out but I'll have to see it to believe he's capable of doing it.

I have always liked politics. Now granted I am a CANADIAN, but the USA election was also heavily broadcasted here. I have a few dear friends in the US, and in fact may one day decide to become an American.

I like Obama.

I do not like Bush much and I feel did make a pretty big mess of everything. I liked Al Gore more then Bush, but that is the past. BUT I do not hate Bush
default_wink.png

We are facing troubling times, and do not need to continue down the same path. I am fascinated and surprised by Obama's truly unique "marketing" tools. He was not only on a late night talk show, but on the internet on such websites like Facebook, My Space, etc. Lets face it, normal president talk shows that are presented to us are DRY - Most won't or can't be bothered to sit through it. Obama opens the gateway between the average "Joe" and the thick election/politic context that many may not even understand.

I think President Obama is trying to think out side the box, and applaud him for his efforts.

Well, Obama IS different. Love him, hate him, that's your call, but he is trying to change America as we know it.
default_smile.png

Also, I wanted to point out, it isn't really ONE man that decides the fate of the Country...
default_wink.png
A President has limits, and also must rely on their "people" both in and out of the office.

Personally I hope Obama stays in many people's good books and DOES help both the USA and Canada.

Just my Opinion.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back