Preparing horse for shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Glen

Reaction score
O.k I've only been showing for 1 season so am still learning the many tricks of the trade one thing I would like to no is how and what ya use to get the horses muzzles so shiny (hope ya get what I mean ) do you shave it and use a clear highlight makeup?,

How far up the face do you go?, is it up to where the nose band on the show halter sits?

Also what colour horse do you use this on?

I have a silver dapple could I do this to him I think he would look really good having this done, I also have a pintaloosa but am not sure weather he would look anygood,

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

To get the shine, I use baby oil gel. For the black, I use the black chalk that I get from the tack vendors at shows. I have several silver dapples. I use a clipper blade # 30 to clip the muzzle back to about where the nose band hits. I will use a shaver to get stray hairs, but I don't shave--my choice, we don't care for it. Just before going into the ring, I will put a little chalk on the muzzle and then use the oil gel to even it out and give it the shiny look. Be careful not to make it too black. You might want to practice at home once or twice to see how you like it. I will also put a bit of black and oil over the eye to make it shiny and stand out a bit. This black will stain clothes, so keep that in mind. I just remember that if I don't like the way a horse looks, I cannot show him to his best, so experiment a little till you get what you like. When the kids are showing, I will often just forget the blacking and use only the oil for a shiny finish.

Hope this helps a little.

Angie

I don't use any coloring agents.

I do razor the muzzles and for each horse, the shaving is different. Some of them look ok with the shaving going up to the noseband of the halter, but that is not usually my taste.

I'd rather shave with a #50 blade and then blend into it with razoring over the mouth and nostrils.

I do use baby oil to give a shine to the skin.

I usually shave any horse that has dark skin. I don't like the look of pink skin nor do I like mottled skin that has been shaven.

Just my taste/choice. You should experiment to get a feel for what you like, not because anyone else is doing it, but because you think your horse looks best that way.

Use lots of shaving cream and water, and while the blades are sharp, work very carefully. Most horses don't mind this a bit.

Good luck!

Liz

Baby oil and baby oil gel will get you a fabulous shine, especially on razored areas. Just be careful not to use too much product or let your horse touch anything while it's on, and always wipe it off your horse after classes are over.
default_wink.png
:

Grooming a horse's head to accentuate strong points and minimize weaker points is really an art and styles vary between grooms. Some horses should only be clippered short while others look amazing razored. The best way to learn all this is to find someone who's work you admire who'll be willing to show you how it's done on your horses. As a professional groomer, I've done this for many owners at shows and also traveled to them for a fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow great thanks alot ssssssoooo appreciated it, I have a trainig day coming up for our club at a ladys place I admirer who is one of the best in my eyes over where I live so I'll ask her she likes my horse so she will give me an honest opinon I'm sure I've seen some of her horses with this look and it looks great so she should no , Thanks alot for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a 30 to the noseband, then a 50over the eyes, half a blade wide, and to just above the nostrils.

I then use a razor, gillette shave cream (which I dont even buy for myself), and warm water to chave his muzzle and above his eyes. I think it looks corny when people razor really high on the horses face, or inbetween their eyes, JMO.

I have the clean highlighter, but honestly, I prefer silverado shine in the aresol can. I use it all over the body, and then spray some in my hands and rub it onto his face. It gives that awesome shine look, but dosent attract dust, and dosent feel greasy.

Latest posts

Back