Prem foal with legs for miles - normal to be hocky?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
Had a foal born 305 days. Everything fine :)

However, we are in mud mud mud and I wonder if she a bit hocky because of it. She certainly not bad or mega twisted and has legs forever. Just a bit more cow hocked than my babies usually are.

Should I look at taking the tips off her toes as to me they seem too long, like she hasn't been able to wear them off properly due to the soft ground.

Thoughts?

I am not a farrier or vet but my guess would be yes. I leave it up to my farrier to decide but i know he has taken the "points" off of some if they weren't wearing them down on their own. Ask your vet or farrier for the best advice for your little one. Congrats!

Just a recommendation from my own experiance. If the foal is looking like a premmie and joints are lax would be best to keep it in a dry stall with limited excercise until the joints mature. Was told by my vet when I had an obiously premature colt that the joints can be damaged by excercise and in this babies case we actually had to carry him in and out to a small 8 x 8 pen in the yard each day so his mom could catch some sun and grass. Took about a month for his joints to harden enough for normal excercise.

Latest posts

Back