Pregnant Mare with lice day 343

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
My poor Peach has started scratching her mane, forelock and neck really hard. She is wearing her mane off, her forelock is gone and she has hari missing in places. I would like to treat her to help her out but I am concerned about the foal if she foals right away which is possible. How can I treat her? Can I just put the powder on her neck for now to control them but then it won't be near her udder or sides? What do you all think. I have an ivermectin dewormer but I should do that after she foals right? HELP!! :eek:

Adams Flee and Tick powder works on lice - but don't puff her in a cloud - put a little bit on the tips of a brush or comb and get it into the base of the hair. You don't want her breathing it or eating a bunch of it - I've used a shallow pan to put the powder in and then dip the comb or tips of a brush into it. We had those two years in arow at a show down here because the sponsors used shavings that pigs and sheep had been on - banned new shavings and would not provide clean shavings - they came in with a spray and each year a number of horses developed severe respiratory reactions and a couple of the died. Not a good way to learn about how to deal with lice. Clean out or treat the sand, dirt or other bedding because if you treat - they;ll come back and lice like the bedding especially if it is moist. Good luck with it.

I would definately want to treat her now before she foals. I am sure it will be quite safe to do so, at this late stage of her pregnancy.

Latest posts

Back