Pregnant mare question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
I haven't had a mare in foal before and as far as I knew they don't start showing till after 8 months. I noticed today my mare's belly has started getting bigger at the bottom, like a rounded triangle kinda shape looking from the back. She was apparently put with the stallion mid way through January which would make her 6mths now. Is the "8 month" theory just an average?

LOL I have noticed a difference in some of my bred mares as early as 3 months. I think they are just like people and some start to show early and some you wouldnt even know are pregnant until they start developing a bag!! Good Luck.

Some amount of size can be contributed to how many foals they have had previously. Also, the size of the mini mare as the smaller ones do tend to show somewhat sooner/more than the larger mares (i.e. small A or larger B). Hey, where else can the foal go but down in this little ones !? Oh, it will vary from day to day sometimes -- depending on how the foal is positioned.

Congrats on the foal and know this is only one of many differences you will discover
default_wub.png

Mine usually show at the 5 or 6 month mark... and every mare will be different. I have had a couple that didnt until the 10th month!!

default_new_shocked.gif

Thanks all, so good to know that it can vary. I was starting to panic that it might be due months earlier than i thought lol.

Latest posts

Back