Pregnant mare question? Is it NOW time to worry ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok as those who take the time to read my posts know * Thanks by the way * my mare Hollie was 2 nights ago showing all signs of impending birth

Kicken the belly, chewin her sides and geting up and down, &* she NEVER lays down in the last 2 months* .

well after that next morning she stopped all signs and ya all said that was ok she could do that for days,

the problem is We have seen NO MOVEMENT from baby since that night..

Hubby says Im being paranoid but Im worried, this was an EXTREMELY kicky active baby up until then.

Should I be worried?? today is her 341 st day

Hi, Gracie --

I just PMed you to see how your mare / foal are doing!

Others have a lot more experience than I do, however, a good friend of mine has been raising minis for 20 years and just told me hers usually go around 342 days, so your current time frame sounds good.

Another friend had her mare sweaty and showing signs several days before her foal arrived.

Good luck,

Jill

thanks you guys I have seen the 366 day foals here so the time frame isnt to much a worry its the fact this Active baby has just seemed to stop all movement,

My mare did the same thing three nights ago, we just knew she was going to foal, and yet here she is three days later, still hanging on, but she is 330 days today so I am not worried. And sometimes with all of the moving around that mom does, the baby may be resting more often. It is probably turning flips when you aren't looking.

More than likely the night that she was very active, the foal was moving around in preparation of getting into position and giving her fits.. And now since you haven't seen any movement the baby is more than likely more into position where there isn't a lot of room for him/her to move around now.. I had a mare foal last year between 350-360 days and the last couple weeks of that you couldn't see much movement but occasionally the baby would lay just right and you could see/feel him laying up against her side
default_yes.gif
I'd suspect you'll see a baby within the next couple days.
default_biggrin.png

Often when the foal is going into birthing position you'll see the mare's belly drop and the foal is less active, probably because there isn't as much room to mess around in!

Allright Thanks, Hopefully thats all it is and a baby will be SOON< I had her ORIGINAL due date for the 18th tomorrow BUT then everything i read said minis standard is 330 days so I changed it,

Maybe she will give us a lil green mini tonight, lol

I wouldn't worry just yet. As someone mentioned the baby doesn't have that much room left when the are getting real close.

I had a mare who was showing signs like all week, especially the last few days before she had her baby. We were also very worried about her cause she was in alot of pain but if she was in labor we couldn't give her banamine or the whole proccess would have just stopped, and that day when she foaled she was dripping milk. So I had the vet come out and he checked inside of her just incase the baby wasn't positioned right and everything was ok, but he didn't give her til Tuesday and that day was Saturday. I was going crazy and felt sorry for my mare. 5 minutes after the vet left she had her baby. Baby was just stuck and the cervix just needed to be stimulated. Your mare might have the same problems but I couldnt tell you if she does or not. If you feel you need to have a vet look at her I would go ahead, trust me it doesn't hurt.

For what little its worth we have noticed that babies often slow down in the last couple of weeks before birth I think as others have said as baby gets into position it is not as noticable as before. Also, I will tell you what my vet told me and its not very nice but he told me just remember if that baby werent alive the mare still would have it so worrying about it doesnt do any good. and believe me I love my vet and hes not as crass as that comment sounds its just that I have been a basket case in the past with bred mares in fact 2 years ago he told me he was going to write me a prescription for valium if I didnt cool my jets. That's why my only job is mare watch and phone person while the birth is taking place. Once baby is safely here then its my job but until it is I do the majority of crying and stressing out. I do take orders well though and just do what hubby and Jodi tell me usually I get sent out of the barn before delivery is over but thats another whole story. Dont blame you a bit for being nervous but that said as my vet said it does no good to worry.

I can relate to everything that backwoodsnanny has said.

My mare showed signs of foaling for 3 weeks, everything stopped for 2 days and in the midst of looking
default_new_shocked.gif
totally normal she just layed down and POP there was our filly, happy healthy and bouncing LOL.

I was a total basket case for 3 weeks (my hubby was ready to have me commited to an assylum) because we couldnt see our foal moving for around the last 6 days. Our vet tried his best to reasure me all was fine. But until you have your liitle one on the ground you just wont rest.

IMO your mare is going to foal very soon.

All the best for a fast text book delivery.

We will be thinking of you
default_yes.gif

Karen

Australia

Latest posts

Back