pregnancy question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
I have a few questions as I am expecting my first foals ever starting feb 2013

- When can I start feeling for kicking? Where do I put my hand?

- any recoemndations on food changes? Suppliements?

- how do you feel about phnumabort k shot? I have first one and my mare wasnt right for a week.

- where can I get foal blankets and haltes for a good price?

I'm not an expert but I did have a mare in foal last year and two expecting this spring. I use Mare Plus as a supplement and as it gets closer to their due date, I add Yea-Sacc which is supposed to help milk production and also aids in digestion. I change to Mare and Foal feed by Blue Seal during the last three months. As to blankets, CraigsList and Ebay are great places to get some good deals as is our own Lil Beginnings Little Horse Barn and Auction but I purchase my mini blankets and foal jackets from Ozark Mountain Tack.

I think a really wondeful board to visit is the MareStarers/Barn Camera Watchers board. You don't have to have a live cam to join in. Just post pictures of your pregnant mares, ask questions and you'll have a whole lot of experienced people helping you. It's lots of fun over there.

I have felt a "flutter" as early as the fifth month gestation by placing my hands on either side of the mare below the ribcage.

We feed a complete senior pelleted feed and increase it for the mare's last trimester and while lactating.

For baby blankets go here:

http://www.pondlakestables.com/apparel.html

I would start giving a Jr. feed at the last trimester and start giving some alfalfa mix hay. Unless prescribed by your vet no supplements needed.

The shot is very controversial, I would ask you vet's opinion on that. I know some give it with no problems but some do have problems with it. I personally never gave it but may rethink about it with my vet.

Back