preemie filly and momma with no milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
I posted Sunday night about my early filly and momma having no milk. It has been crazy here and I thought I put a picture up and an update on the filly...but guess not. I was up every hour feeding the filly a tiny bit each time of lamb milk replacer..as she would only take a tiny bit. About 5 am mommas milk came in...but we still took her up to the vets around 10 to get an IGG. The IGG was a bit low so we started her on antibiotics. The vet said that because she was a preemie she actually had a few extra hours where she could absorb the colostrum. So we went back today for a second IGG test and it worked...her levels were at 8 and I can stop the antibiotics.

I was also able to go down to OSU and bring home my little mare who had been in ICU since last Monday evening after a terrible distocia.
th_tommysfilly2008march30008.jpg

Hopefully this is a picture of momma and filly..well..it looks like I got the picture but I'm not sure how to make the picture bigger.

Congrats on her -- glad momma's milk came in and she is doing good..

She is nursing just fine now. Her momma wouldn't have anything to do with her when she was first born. It was a red bag delivery....the placenta came out with the foal and we had a heck of a time breaking the cord. Momma just ignored her until her milk came in. I guess maybe the hormones took some time to kick in and realize that the foal had been born.

The little filly is just about 16" and weighs about 20 lbs.

Becky

So glad everything turned out well in the end! I wondered how she was doing! Thanks for the update!

Good, I wondered how she was doing. Glad the milk came in....and I'm sure you are too!
default_biggrin.png
Round the clock feeding gets old in a hurry LOL.

Jan

That's great news.
default_aktion033.gif

I felt so bad the other day when you posted that you had a mare with no milk and someone else had posted that they had lost a foal and had a mare who could be used as a surrogate. The internet is a wonderful way to find things....it just doesn't shorten the miles between people who have them.

I'm really glad to hear your little one is doing fine.

Thank you for the update.......and a wonderful update!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back