Possibly pregnant mare wont eat grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Katie- some of us that have had really bad experiences with ulcers may tend to go a bit overboard, so please don't take it personally. Margo brought up a good point about pelleted feeds which reminded me of what we fed Max. See if you can find a good complete senior feed (I used Nutrena Senior) which as Margo said will be alfalfa based, easy to digest and high protein - all things your mare needs right now. It should have pre- and pro-biotics which won't hurt either and may be the easiest way to get your mare to eat alfalfa. Also, try to find some flavor she will eat (even if it is not the best for her) like maybe applesauce, to add to the alfalfa to get her to eat it, and then gradually reduce it.

I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS TO REPORT!

She is now eating ALL of her alfalfa pellets and SafeChoice Performance grain and her Purina Amplify supplement.

I mixed a teaspoon of butter flavored pancake syrup with four teaspoons of warm water, poured it over the grain and she started gobbling it up.

I'm now only adding a few drops of syrup to the water mixture and she's still eating all of it, I'm hoping to have her weaned off it tomorrow.

I'm still going to treat for ulcers and worms but I'm one happy momma right now!

Just wanted to add that I have added alfalfa pellets to everyone's diet as well, and that the SafeChoice Performance is a pelleted grain not a molasses based.

So thrilled you found an answer
hope she keeps feeling better and eating for you
wishing you a safe foaling
default_smile.png

This is FABULOUS news!! I'm so excited for you.....and her!! Keep us posted on how she's doing. And I hope you'll join us on the mare forum so we can continue to watch this little lady!
default_thumbup.gif

Brilliant news!!
default_thumbup.gif

I'm so pleased for her and for you. Lets hope that things settle down for her now and she continues to make steady progress.

Latest posts

Back