possible inbred mini....questions about potential issues....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiz Minis Fan

Reaction score
So someone I know said if I could catch her, I could have her.....

2 hours later and onward with her in tow.

The issue.....possibly bred to her son......he is about 3 yrs and full package......

Yesterday I saw what looked like her belly kickin around and having a blast....but only from 10 feet away and still in winter coat.....also only basing this on seeing videos on the net of in foal action....no personal experience.

What are the possible issues that I am in for with this somewhat unfortunate setup?

Please dont bash me on the breeding.....I was not part of the picture in that event....only trying to get the best help for both involved.....hoping she is not pregnant though!

Thank you for all words of advise!

A lot depends on what problems she may have in her background. Many breeders have had success with careful inbreeding but if there are problems like dwarfism they would be more likely to show up. There is nothing you can do at this point but wait and hope for a normal foal. You might want to have her tested/ultrasounded to see if she is bred so you would know one way or the other.

Good that you got this mini out of a neglectful situation! Only time will tell what the resulting foal will look like. if it is any consolation...for generations breeders "line bred" horses ie: bred parents to their offspring and vice versa. They considered "inbreeding" to be related offspring breeding to offspring ie: brother to sister (with same dam/sire). There is lots of evidence to suggest that inbreeding can produce such undesirable traits as parrot mouth and jaw deformities, crooked legs and clubbed feet as well as sway back and other congenital deformities. However, the thing to keep in mind is that while not championed in the equine industry of today, did play a role in sizing the breed down, isolating colors and traits that are prized by some. Rabbit and cavy breeders still accept this practice (line breeding parents to offspring) to keep certain desirable traits expressed. The important thing to remember is that if ANY animal is bred that possesses, not just expresses, but carries the gene for an undesirable trait, it is more apt to come out with line/in breeding as the resulting offspring have a higher chance of carrying two copies of the gene. I would STRONGLY suggest researching the pedigree info if available to get names of grand parents and search the web and magazines for photos to try and see if you can spot any traits yourself. I would preg check the mare so that you know one way or another and can prepare for a foal and ensure that the mare's prenatal needs are met. And pray for the best. Should a healthy and sound foal arrive, just do not register it and if a colt, GELD it! If the unfortunate happens and a dwarf or severely disfigured foal result, you may want to consider euthanasia as a humane choice should the foal be crippled and unable to move, eat and function like a normal horse. Either way, best of luck and again, glad you rescued the mare and glad you are not afraid to ask for help and information on the situation. I think that is the BEST thing you can do. Knowledge is power.

Father to daughter is sometimes done, but mother to son has less better results... But I wouldn't stress about it now that its done, I'd just wait and see. There are no guarantees even with unrelated breedings.

I would not worry too much, especially if the mare does not exhibit any serious conformation flaws--there is no reason to think the foal will come out with any horrendous issues just because the parents are mother and son. Yes, the inbreeding may very well bring out some recessive genes, but the result will hopefully not be horribly flawed.

I disagree with the above post about not registering the resulting foal if it comes out healthy and sound--assuming registration is an option there would be no reason not to register it. Line breeding is still very much favored by some breeders--the mother to son breeding is much less common than father to daughter breedings, but it is done in some cases. Half and full siblings are bred to each other often enough, with great results in many cases. In your case about all you can do is wait and see what you get--and meantime study up on care of pregnant and lactating mares, new foals, and on the foaling procedure as well.

Thank you for the input. I have papers of her stating her parentage...one of the names I recognized on a grandparent level....will post that in the evening.

I am still working on her trusting me so a vet checkup, shots and farrier are out of the question right now....she is skittish....

I dont want to stress her out and have things happen way too soon. Every day I go in the pen and work with her for 15 to 20 minutes. Every day we make slow progress.....but progress either way!

Luckily the vet I use for shots and simple stuff is open on saturdays so I can take her there sooner.

I dont want to rush things and cause too much stress....not interested in birthing a premi!

I have the birthing gear if needed though!

Not a problem- it does not actually affect problems like dwarfism- it is no more likely in a close breeding than it is in an unrelated one, I would be more concerned about things like patella luxation etc, and basic conformation, But if the sire and dam are both sound there is no reason why the foal would not be. I have done this breeding twice now and had very good results.

Our best foals have inbreeding (or line breeding) similar to what you describe in their backgrounds on both sire and dam sides. As pointed out, I would not obsess about what is done, and especially if neither have huge conformation flaws.

I would recommend a Wee Foal 120 pregnancy test to find out IF she is pregnant. You can collect the urine for the test from the ground if you have to (which I have done several times) and you only need a drop or two. No need to catch or stress the mare. Google Wee Foal to find dealers and instructions but avoid the 38 (earlier in pregnancy) test which I have had back luck with.

Like others have said, inbreeding is an accepted practice, and in our case, our best foals are the products of inbreeding, son to mother, to sisters, etc. Of course, they will be outcrossed as that is as close as we are comfortable.

One person correctly said knowledge is power, but the rest of the advice was not accurate.

This is our son to dam filly.

image.jpg

Brother to 1/2 sister (same sire as above filly)

image.jpg

Last, an arab out of a cross of sire and dam by same sire, and their dams are both grand get of Fadjur.

image.jpg

I think it would have been tragic not to register any of these horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't stress about the possibilities and least of all - don't worry about dwarfism. Dwarfism is a recessive - and happens only if both are carriers of the gene, and then there is only a 25 percent chance that the resulting foal would be a dwarf. If the foal is 'normal' (and I'm willing to bet that it will be) by all means register it!!

Some of the TOP horses in the country are VERY heavily line-bred. Just see what you get and don't worry now. Worry won't change anything except cause you an upset stomach....Breathe deeply and look forward to the little one with excitement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would not worry too much about it... take a look at the Shetland and Arabian pedigrees..... lots of it and more than once. I have had horses that were line bred and some that I guess you could say had inbreeding in the background, and all were fine. Glad you got her out of there though, sounds like an irresponsible owner. Good luck and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back