New Mini Mare questions about being itchy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never2Mini

Reaction score
Hi, I don't post here much mostly lurk. I recently bought another Mini Mare. I was so excited to ad her to my small Mini Herd of now 4. She is the granddaughter of Hemlock Brooks Egyptian King, 14 yrs young and possibly pregnant by Iles Apache Appy Ace. She is having issues with a itchy tail and mane. I have wormed her for pin worms, bathed her with people dander shampoo so far. She does seem to have dander and if I run my hand through her body hair it feels greasy. I plan soon as the weather cooperates to bath her again with horse anti fungal shampoo and apply Witch Hazel. I do feed Black Oil sunflower seeds and wonder if that could be causing the issue ? I did stop giving them to her a couple days ago just in case. Also wondered if maybe with the possiblity she is prego could that also cause such issues ? I know women can have dryer then normal hair/skin or more oily. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh and she eats Purinia Strategy and orchard hay along with some pasture.

PrettyDolly.jpg

ResizedDolly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow 48 views and no ideas or tips to try ? I guess I will go back to lurking.

For the itchy tail issues, check her udder for crud between the two halves; when it gets dirty it gets itchy, and their bum/tail is the closest thing for them to readily itch.

It sounds like you've already done a lot to solve her itchy problem, but if you haven't already check her for lice; or to be on the safe side just dust or spray her for lice (repeat in 10 days to break the cycle). Its amazing which horses might have lice when no one else does. [Or some other unwanted passengers.]

Rub your hand under her belly, if it is rough or has a crusty feel she might have sweet itch.

Oops I forgot to say in first post that I did clean her udders. I didn't see any creepy crawlers but I will check her again. She does have dandruff pretty bad. The bath seemed to help for a few days the last time. I guess I could try a little dust on her for lice and see. I had a pony in the past with lice and I could see them when I brushed him but maybe if hers is not a very bad case yet it would make them hard to see. Thanks chandab for ideas to try.
default_smile.png

2mini4us no crusty nor rough under her belly. I rub her belly often when I groom her as she seems to like it.
default_smile.png
I tell you she has me scratching my head. I hope maybe it was the boss and will improve after she is off them awhile but I have not heard of anyone having such problems from boss. Thanks 2mini4us for the ideas. She has us puzzled. I do have an appointment next month for her to have an ultra sound. If she is still having this issues maybe they will have a idea. I just don't think the itching is a call for a vet bill but if it gets worse I will do just that. I think it bothers me more then her.

We just discovered that they can also have a very acidic bowl, if it smells very strong it likely is. This makes them really itchy too. Adding some alfalfa to the diet and switching grain to soy hull pellets can help here. We just feed that now and add some brewers yeast and whole flax seeds vitamins and some alfalfa cubes, I swear I can see the difference in two weeks with our two mares. One is cranky as can be so we hope to have found this before she develops ulcers.

Apparently all those pre mixed feeds are loaded with all sorts of stuff horses cannot digest so it sits in their hind gut gives them bloat and becomes acidic. Also make sure your orchard grass is low sugar, we were recommended to use 1/2 and 1/2 orchard grass and alfalfa. See if you find some that is tested and below 8 or 10% sugars. This diet should also help with the risk of founder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also thinking maybe lice but my response did not post correctly i guess. Sometimes they can be very difficult to see. If you have clippers you might think about clipping a strip of hair up against/under her mane. I usually get into the mane a little to check as they seem to like the mane area. I would worm her with an ivermectin product, give her a good spraying of fly spray(make sure shes not allergic to it first) and make sure you get the base of mane and tail really good, and then repeat every two weeks for at least 4 times. I have never heard of BOSS making them itchy but i guess it could happen if she was allergic???
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back