Possible edema?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymie124

Reaction score
I have a 7 yro mare who is due in early April 2013. She has had one foal which was born late summer 2011. The pre owner had said she hadn't appeared to bag up before baby but did after. I have always noticed she doesn't like me going near her teats every time I try to wash her, so far no luck with getting anywhere close but I can touch her chest now. :D I had noticed her little bump previously but had just figured it was normal with mommies and had been caused by her bag. Well I was reading in my book: Storey's Guide to Raising Horses by Heather Smith Thomas, and came across a drawing that looked very similar to my girl's. The book described it as an edema that exercise helps with and is seen in late pregnancy. Well my girl is only 3-4 months along and she won't let me touch it so I can't really tell how it feels. Every time my hand just barely touches it she immediately kicks out at me and tries getting me away from it. So I do not know if it is exactly causing pain because when I first bought her she had this response when I would be brushing her sides and flanks. She was running and playing with what seemed like no problems just the other day. So I guess after all that rambling my question narrows down too: is edema possible to last this long after having a foal? Can it appear this early in pregnancy? Could it have been caused from suddenly bagging up? What can I do to help her be more comfortable? Tips for making it so I can clean her? I have slowly progressed with gently rubbing my hands all over, but I can imagine how much more uncomfortable she must be with all that dirt! Also I cannot get photos to upload but if you inbox me you email I can send some. I just really wish I could make her more comfortable!

I just recently experienced my first round of edema in my hard keeper, last week. It showed up on Friday and was gone on Monday. I didn't do anything to it at all. i guess it depends on what is causing it? Good luck with finding the right answer for your situation!

Latest posts

Back