Portable Electric Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
I have 16 acres of pasture and I will soon have 2 miniature horses to add to my 2 large horses and 1 donkey. These are my first miniatures and I am trying to plan things out for the spring.

I don't fully trust my outside fencing at this point because I don't know that the mini's wouldn't be able to get through the bottom two strands. Basically it is a 3 strand wire fence with a hotwire above the top strand and another between the top and middle strand, so there is no electric along the bottom anywhere.

Anyway, for now, they will be in a corral while they are getting used to being here and until they figure out who feeds them and where it is done
default_smile.png

I want to be able to turn them out into a larger area eventually, but several people have commented on the fact that it may not be safe to do so with my larger equines.

I am by myself at home right now, as Hubby is working in Qatar until April. I am wanting to put up a temporary electric fence that I could turn them out in during the day for some extra room now, and for grazing this spring/summer without having to worry about the larger horses OR them getting out of my perimeter fence.

I found this one on Jeffers Equine...It say new, but what do you guys think? Does it look like something that would be worth trying??

http://www.jeffersequine.com/smartfence-system/camid/EQU/cp/XI-SB/cn/260/

If anyone else uses one that is easy to install and move, please do share! I would love to hear your experiences! Thanks!!

I was trying to find a picture to upload to show what I have but couldn't find one. We use electic tape it works great is highly visable and you can use the little posts that you put in the ground with just your foot. We use three strands for the big horses and they have wood posts, but the minis have four stands I have one low to keep out running dogs and use just the plastic posts. for the foals we use stock fencing no electric. The tape itself is 2 inches wide and white but comes in brown or green. when we separate fields its easy to move around for rotating. We do have one mini mare that won't respect it, so I have to keep her in stock fenceing.

Thanks guys! I will look into the tape. I was just looking at this kit, because I don't know what all I would need and the fact that this keeps the wires all separated was soooo nice. I will start pricing the tape and posts though...

Do I need a different type of charger for the electric tape? Or does it use the same type as any other?

Oh, and does anyone have a suggestion for the most durable step in posts??

Another thing to add...this would most likely be used to keep the miniatures in AND to keep the big guys out, as they will probably be free to roam in the rest of the pasture around this smaller area that I would like to enclose...

Latest posts

Back